Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Tom_Y
Helper III
Helper III

Filling average values between irregular report date

Hi all,

Clients are sending a Reading to us on irregular basis. (pic1)

Is there any way we can fill in the blank in pic 2 with an average values in those date that don't have a report?

By doing so we can then have a monthly consumption and then we can have a bar chart.

Very much appreicated.

Tom_Y_0-1712149446099.png

Tom_Y_1-1712150694556.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Tom_Y, this is not a simple task in PowerQuery: you would need to build a complex calculation and it might affect a lot refresh time of your report. 

What exactly are you trying to achieve? If you want to fill in "null" values with the values from the same report, assuming the first row of every new report is not empty, you can try transformation called "Fill->Down":

Sergii24_0-1712153544323.png

Sergii24_1-1712153597728.png

Otherwise you can load data in PowerBI as it is and then calculate average by creating a measure and using, let's say, Calendar.Date to obtain the number of rows per report.

I hope it helps, if not don't hesitate to provide more details so we can help you 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
_AAndrade
Super User
Super User

Hi @Tom_Y ,

Here's my solution for your problem:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fdAxCoAwDAXQq0jnQpNWra6CpyidqkhBHKQO3t66iEW+kCV58AnfOTEccZ3itlQspCBWZJQmXedlXOeQ9hhiOvPWUuleOpEvz5AuqIw1ONaU/omtMTWYWkz2508L/7TN7R2O7SExYcJ9ssaE62JcF7/q8hc=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Client = _t, ReportDate = _t, MeterType = _t, Reading = _t, CalendarDate = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Client", type text}, {"ReportDate", type date}, {"MeterType", type text}, {"Reading", Int64.Type}, {"CalendarDate", type date}}),
    ReplacedValue = Table.ReplaceValue(ChangedType,"",null,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Client", "MeterType"}),
    FilledDown = Table.FillDown(ReplacedValue,{"Client", "ReportDate", "MeterType"}),
    ReadingAvg = 
    Table.AddColumn(FilledDown, "Average", each 
        if [CalendarDate] <> null then
            let
                SelecectRows = Table.SelectRows(FilledDown, each ([Reading] <> null)),
                Average = Table.Group(SelecectRows, {"Client"}, {{"ReadingAvg", each List.Average([Reading]), type nullable number}})
            in
                Average
        else null
    ),
    GetAvg = Table.ExpandTableColumn(ReadingAvg, "Average", {"ReadingAvg"}, {"ReadingAvg"}),
    NewReading = Table.AddColumn(GetAvg, "NewReading", each if [Reading] = null then [ReadingAvg] else [Reading], Int64.Type),
    RemovedColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(NewReading,{"Reading", "ReadingAvg"}),
    ReorderedColumns = Table.ReorderColumns(RemovedColumns,{"Client", "ReportDate", "MeterType", "NewReading", "CalendarDate"})
in
    ReorderedColumns

Final output:

_AAndrade_0-1712155081809.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are welcome.

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks @_AAndrade !

I'm afraid I need something even more complicated, I want it to increase progressively from 60 (with data) to 62 64 66 ... (fill those without date) and then 76 (with data again), and then e.g. 77 78 79 (without data, average between last data and next data)

Thanks @_AAndrade !

I'm afraid I need something even more complicated, I want it to increase progressively from 60 (with data) to 62 64 66 ... (fill those without date) and then 76 (with data again), and then e.g. 77 78 79 (without data, average between last data and next data)

Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Tom_Y, this is not a simple task in PowerQuery: you would need to build a complex calculation and it might affect a lot refresh time of your report. 

What exactly are you trying to achieve? If you want to fill in "null" values with the values from the same report, assuming the first row of every new report is not empty, you can try transformation called "Fill->Down":

Sergii24_0-1712153544323.png

Sergii24_1-1712153597728.png

Otherwise you can load data in PowerBI as it is and then calculate average by creating a measure and using, let's say, Calendar.Date to obtain the number of rows per report.

I hope it helps, if not don't hesitate to provide more details so we can help you 🙂

@Sergii24 Yes, you're right. It doesn't worth it.

I change my plan and calculate a "daily consumption", simple division, and then merge calendar, expand, and fill down the "daily consumption". and use "sum" daily consumption in visual.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.