Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SPIND
Frequent Visitor

Field Parameters when using one semantic model in several reports.

Hello community,

I´m a new Power BI user and I´m creating a project management Power BI report for several departments.

I thought that a good practice to reduce the maintenance burden would be to create the semantic model in a Power BI desktop file and publish it to Power BI Service. Subsequently create each report in Power Bi Desktop by getting data from the semantic model. This way I can customize the reports for each department while having one semantic model.

However, the previous approach is causing me problems with field parameters.

-If I create a field parameter in the semantic model, it don´t work properly in the reports.

-If I create a field parameter in the report I get the following text when trying to publish it:

“Your file was published but disconnected. “Your report is not connected to one or more data sources. To connect go to dataset settings or ask the dataset owner for help”.

Although it does not prevent you from publishing it in power bi service, a new semantic model and a report are generated in which all the visuals give an error. If in Power BI Services I go to the new created dataset settings I see the following:

One or more cloud data sources for this semantic model have been deleted”.

-If I combine the semantic model and the report in the same file it works fine but is not what I want because I will have to maintain several semantic models that are the same.

I have been reading and it seems that this issue happens because my semantic model storage is not Import mode but Direct Query. Is this true?

When getting the semantic model into the report it forces you into Direct Query. Import Mode is not an option.

Am I missing here something? Do you how to solve this? Do you know a better approach?

More info:

-The semantic model takes data from dataflows stored in power bi service (import mode).
-The dataflows take data from google sheet files and some websites.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

2 REPLIES 2
SPIND
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-rongtiep-msft ,

To be honest what i want to know if there is a way to make field parameters work properly when creating them in a semantic model that you will use in different reports (those reports will get the semantic model through Direct Query).

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SPIND ,

One or more cloud data sources for this semantic model have been deleted”.

I would suspect this is happening because when you take over a cloud dataset the previous credentials were linked to the user who owned the dataset.

Check the datasource in Manage Gateway or you need to remap the dataset to it in gateway connection.

For original post,  you may refer to 

One or more cloud data sources for this dataset ha... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: One more cloud data sources for this dataset have ... - Microsoft Fabric Community

If it still does not help, please provide more details.

Does it refresh properly on the Power BI Desktop before you publish to the Power BI Service?

Do you have to edit credentials, configure gateways, etc. after publishing?

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.