Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Azzurra997
Helper I
Helper I

Export excel under power bi report

Hi All!

I've created some reports on power bi. I used excel file on sharepoint as source. Then I published the reports online to share them with my colleagues. Do you know if it possible to set a function from which my colleagues can download the excel/csv file behind the graphs or tables I inserted in the report? (they can see the power bi report only through the link) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MAwwad
Super User
Super User

Yes, it is possible to allow your colleagues to download the underlying data in Excel or CSV format from your Power BI report. You can do this by enabling the "Export Data" option in your Power BI report.

Here's how you can enable the "Export Data" option:

1. Open your Power BI report in the Power BI service.
  2. Click on the "File" menu in the top-left corner of the screen.
  3. Select "Report settings" from the dropdown menu.
  4. In the "Export data" section, toggle the switch to the "On" position.
  5. Choose the data export format that you want to allow your colleagues to download (Excel or CSV).
  6. Click on the "Apply" button to save your changes.

Once you've enabled the "Export Data" option, your colleagues will be able to download the underlying data in Excel or CSV format by clicking on the "..." icon in the top-right corner of the visual and selecting "Export data" from the dropdown menu.

Note that the "Export Data" option will only be available for visuals that have underlying data, such as tables or charts. Also, depending on the data source, there may be limitations on the amount of data that can be exported.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
arunava93ghosh

Just open the paginated report in the workspace. On Top you will find subscribe to report. Do that and set the export as .csv. It will work.

This excel export works only for paginated reports (.rdl). and not for .pbix reports. Refer to this image:

image.jpg

GV_ita

thank you for reply me. I've succeded in create an APP and different audiences. The only issues that I still ecountering is the login process: everyone invited must complete a login, while the PUBLIC link in the EMBED options let everyone to enter without any restriction (but can't download data).

Is there a way to give free access, without login, to an APP ?

GV_ita

Hi all, 

I was wondering if this option or any other options are working for the "PUBLISH TO WEB (PUBLIC)" version, too.

Thank you

MAwwad
Super User
Super User

Yes, it is possible to allow your colleagues to download the underlying data in Excel or CSV format from your Power BI report. You can do this by enabling the "Export Data" option in your Power BI report.

Here's how you can enable the "Export Data" option:

1. Open your Power BI report in the Power BI service.
  2. Click on the "File" menu in the top-left corner of the screen.
  3. Select "Report settings" from the dropdown menu.
  4. In the "Export data" section, toggle the switch to the "On" position.
  5. Choose the data export format that you want to allow your colleagues to download (Excel or CSV).
  6. Click on the "Apply" button to save your changes.

Once you've enabled the "Export Data" option, your colleagues will be able to download the underlying data in Excel or CSV format by clicking on the "..." icon in the top-right corner of the visual and selecting "Export data" from the dropdown menu.

Note that the "Export Data" option will only be available for visuals that have underlying data, such as tables or charts. Also, depending on the data source, there may be limitations on the amount of data that can be exported.

Hi! Thanks, I had a try but I cannot follow all your steps.

When I open the report on power bi browser (service) I click on "File" -> "Settings" -> then a menu on the right side appears. I scroll down the menu and find "Export Data" section, but here I can only choose from a drop-down menu three options "Choose the type of data you allow your end users to export":

- Summarized data and data with current layout

- Summirized data, data with current layout and underlying data

- None

Thanks for your help

Azzurra997_0-1677854164105.png

Azzurra997_1-1677854182445.png

Have you figured it out?

Hello,

I will give you a workaround to do it, Put your report into App, Create two audiences, allow a specific audience to reach the page where they can extract data from visual as an excel csv. duplicate the same page (But remove the option to export data from visual )and make it available for everyone except these people.

Best Regards 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.