Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

franco_mango

Do I need multiple gateways for multiple database connections

I am relatively new to powerBI so apologies if this is a trivial question. I want to create two reports in two separate workspaces. Both reports use data from different sql server databases. Do I need separate gateways for that? From my understanding, I can use the same gateway for multiple database connections, so what is the advantage of having different gateways? What is the best practice?

Does the answer depend on the following scenarios?
1.) Report A uses database A from the SQL server x.x.x.x:xx and report B uses database B in the same sql server

2.) Report A and Report B use different database from different sql servers

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @franco_mango ,

Your understanding is correct; you can use a single gateway to connect to multiple databases, even if those databases are on different servers.

Let's address your scenarios specifically:

1. Same SQL Server, Different Databases: If Report A uses Database A and Report B uses Database B on the same SQL Server (x.x.x.x:xx), you can definitely use the same gateway for both reports. The on-premises data gateway acts as a bridge, allowing secure data transfer between your on-premises data sources (like SQL Server) and the Power BI service, regardless of the number of databases on that server.

2. Different SQL Servers: Even if Report A and Report B use databases from different SQL servers, a single gateway can still manage these connections. The gateway is designed to handle multiple data sources, which can include different databases hosted on different SQL Server instances.

Advantages of Using Multiple Gateways:

While a single gateway can suffice for multiple databases, there are scenarios where using multiple gateways might be beneficial:

• Load Balancing: If you have a high volume of data refresh operations, using multiple gateways can help distribute the load, improving performance and reliability.
  • Geographical Considerations: If your SQL servers are located in different geographical regions, having gateways closer to each data source can reduce latency.
  • Redundancy: Multiple gateways can provide redundancy, ensuring that if one gateway goes down, others can take over, minimizing downtime.

Best Practice:

For most scenarios, starting with a single gateway is sufficient and keeps the architecture simple. Monitor the performance and if you encounter issues related to load, latency, or reliability, consider adding more gateways as needed. Always ensure your gateway is up to date and review the Power BI Gateway documentation for the latest best practices and features.

For further details on managing gateways and understanding their architecture, I recommend reviewing the On-premises data gateway documentation.

I hope this clarifies your queries. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @franco_mango ,

no, you can use the same gateway for both instead of having two gateways.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.