Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

wookietreiber
Frequent Visitor

Custom Date Hierarchy Display Format in Power BI - Drill Down Issue

Hello Power BI Enthusiasts,

I'm in need of some assistance with customizing the display format for a date hierarchy in Power BI. I’ve built a custom date table and established a hierarchy within it. It functions well, but I've encountered a cosmetic issue that I hope to resolve.

In the auto-datetime feature of Power BI, when drilling down to the lowest level, the dates are displayed in an abbreviated, compact format that’s very easy on the eyes.

wookietreiber_1-1714030734938.png

However, with my custom hierarchy, the dates don’t retain this clean look when drilled down.

wookietreiber_2-1714030780732.png

I tried concatenating labels to streamline the view, but the result was not satisfactory. The lowest level of drill-down becomes a long string of dates.

wookietreiber_3-1714030838440.png

Does anyone have experience with formatting custom date hierarchies in Power BI to look as neat as the built-in auto-datetime feature, especially when drilling down to the day level? I'm looking for a way to keep the date parts (year, month, day) visually separated and yet as tidy as the default formatting (see first screenshot).

Your insights on how to approach this would be immensely valuable.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Warm regards,

Christian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wookietreiber
Frequent Visitor
3 REPLIES 3
wookietreiber
Frequent Visitor
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@wookietreiber , Try concatenate label off and check if makes any difference

Concatenate Label off : https://youtu.be/QgI0vIGIOOk

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunatly that's what I am coming from (see second screenshot). So that does not do trick

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.