Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

TheScrub

Connecting multiple different dynamic data sources in PBI

Hello,

Dynamic data sources must be integrated for a PBI dashboard. Dynamic data sources in this case would be around 8 Excel files, 1 database cube, 1 Jira project with the tickets it contains and an Access file.

All data sources must supply the PBI file with real data or at hourly intervals, the main thing is that they are not static.

Does this even work in PBI on Prem?

And would it make sense to create an Excel file that queries the 8 Excel files and then link this one Excel file to Power Bi?

In a test file with an Excel data source, I could not connect a cube as a SQL Server Analysis Services database with a live connection, it was grayed out because I already have other data sources, in this case Excel files. Is this a known problem?

Does Excel live data, database cube live data, Jira live data, Access live data even work in PBI? I have the feeling that this won't work. 😞

I would be very grateful for your help on how this works.

4 REPLIES 4
TheScrub

Could someone please help? THX. 

Hi, @TheScrub 

Don't know Jira, if you only discuss 8 Excel files and 1 database cube, Power BI supports the use of Gateway is published to the Service in the report to establish a connection with the local Excel or database, making it possible to schedule a refresh (automated refresh, the number of refreshes depends on the level of your credentials, up to 48 in a day). This refresh can take place up to 48 times a day)

Related links: 
Power BI Gateway | Microsoft Power BI
Use the on-premises data gateway app | Microsoft Learn
Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

According to my searches, to import Jira data into Power BI you must use the Rest API
REST APIs (atlassian.com)

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

v-yaningy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @TheScrub 

Power BI supports mixed data sources (Import/DirectQuery), Live Connection mode usually only supports connecting to a single data source, if there is data from multiple sources consider not using Live Connection connection mode, this is by design.

Related link: 
Solved: Live Connection with multiple data source - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

And how could I solve my problem of storing 8 Excel files, 1 database cube, 1 Jira project? Probably via DirectQuery? Does that mean that I should create everything in an Excel file, for example, with separate worksheets, create a query for all the original sources and then connect this prepared Excel file to PBI? Then I always have to update the Excel data source and then update the PBI so that the latest data is available? Can this be automated? And is this even the best possible solution? I could query the cube and the individual files in an Excel file if that is the best option. But I don't know if this works dynamically with JIRA. Can JIRA tickets be displayed dynamically in Excel so that they are also connected to PBI? TY very much! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.