Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

na12063
Helper I
Helper I

Conditional tooltips in PBI.

Has anyone encountered a similar scenario where you needed to not display tooltips if a specific record is blank?

If yes, kindly share details on the solution in the comments.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Did you raise the idea?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @na12063 ,

@lbendlin makes a good point.

You can not apply tooltips to some records and not to some, either both or neither.

vhuijieymsft_0-1709883676356.png

The alternative is:

You can create a measure that performs this action, and then place the measure in a customized tooltips page before applying it to the visual object; if you place it directly in the "tooltips" section of the visual object, it will not display correctly.

The measure syntax is as follows:

measure = IF(ISBLANK([Value]), BLANK(), [Value]&"")

If you put the measure directly into the "tooltips" section of the visual object, it will be displayed as follows:

vhuijieymsft_1-1709883958474.png

Putting the measure into the customized tooltips page and then applying them to the visual object results in the following display:

vhuijieymsft_0-1709884032813.png

For information on creating custom tooltips and applying them to tooltips, see the following documentation:

Create report tooltip pages in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Customizing tooltips in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

The pbix file is attached.

If you have any other go questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

@v-huijiey-msft, thank you for your response. In this case the tooltips still gets displayed and I was wondering if it's possible not to display at all for blank record.

Regards,

Hi @na12063 ,

It is out of the question.

Thanks for the idea via the URL @lbendlin provided, it was very helpful.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

Did you raise the idea?

@lbendlin , Yes, I did, thank you for asking. Here's the link below. Please take a moment to vote.

Microsoft Idea

voted

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You cannot not show them.  You can show a blank tooltip but that's a bad UX.

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/?forum=2d80fd4a-16cb-4189-896b-e0dac5e08b41

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.