Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

TBStacey
Frequent Visitor

Conditional Formatting appears to not be working

Hello. I'm trying to apply conditional formatting to a measure in Power BI desktop. I want the background color of the field for percents 81-100 to be green, 50 - 80 to be yellow, and 0-49 to be red. This is what the rules look like:

TBStacey_0-1699542755447.png

This is an screenshot of how the formatting is being applied:

Everything is showing red (but only fields with percents under 50 should show red). 

TBStacey_1-1699542866259.png

This formatting (above) is being applied to a matrix where there these measures are listed for each state by year and I can open/collapse the years under each state to reveal those state year details.

I used the same rules in another matrix to look at the same measure by year. In this instance, there is more color variation, but it still doesn't follow the rules set in the screen shot above:

TBStacey_2-1699543273560.png

Is it possible conditional formatting can't be used in a matrix? I can't see what I am doing wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @TBStacey ,

Please try this:

Measure = 
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    [Percent]>=0.81&&[Percent]<=1,"Green",
    [Percent]>=0.5&&[Percent]<0.81,"Yellow",
    [Percent]>=0&&[Percent]<0.5,"Red"
)

and use field value format style.

vcgaomsft_0-1700036529171.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TBStacey
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your feedback @Ahmedx 

I've corrected the rules as below:

TBStacey_0-1699550833016.png

That doesn't seem to have resolved the issue. In the first matrix were there is state date which can be expanded to view individual years below each state, I see this when collapsed (viewing state averages):

The 92 should be green and the 53 should be yellow.

TBStacey_1-1699550994165.png

When I expand the matric to view each year below a given state, I see this (no conditional formatting at all):

TBStacey_2-1699551107761.png

In the matrix where I only have yearly averages, and the same rules as above, I see this (1 cell formatted, the result are not):

TBStacey_3-1699551181883.png

Thank you to anyone who has ideas on what I may be doing wrong!

Hi @TBStacey ,

Please try this:

Measure = 
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    [Percent]>=0.81&&[Percent]<=1,"Green",
    [Percent]>=0.5&&[Percent]<0.81,"Yellow",
    [Percent]>=0&&[Percent]<0.5,"Red"
)

and use field value format style.

vcgaomsft_0-1700036529171.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Hello there and thank you for your idea. I am still learning, so pardon if this is a silly question. When creating the new measure, would the field name for the dataset go between the parantheses after TRUE? I.e., TRUE (dataset field name here),

That is where I put it, but I get this error, "The following syntax error occurred during parsing: Invalid token, Line 3, Offset 10, %."

Hi @TBStacey ,

--When creating the new measure, would the field name for the dataset go between the parantheses after TRUE? I.e., TRUE (dataset field name here)
--The True() function always returns TRUE.
TRUE function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn
Here, three expressions are matched against TRUE, and if any expression matches first, the value following the expression is output.
SWITCH function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

vcgaomsft_0-1700701781983.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

Thank you! I was able to figure out how to use the new measure based on your additional information and it worked! I appreciate your time and assistance. Have a great day!

Ahmedx
Super User
Super User

you should change the percentage to
100% = 1
81% = 0.81
50% = 0.5

Screenshot_1.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.