Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jpc
Helper I
Helper I

Collating test results from related rows

I have source data tables of Tests and Results.   Some tests have explicit test results, but some don't; in the tests table they are defined as being dependent on other tests.

My objective is to add a column to the results table which is the consolidated pass/fail result, ie R3 is deemed a pass because R1 is a pass;  R4 is a fail (it is deemed a pass only if R1 and R2 pass).   How do i approach this?

Tests

TestDependency
R1 
R2 
R3R1
R4R1 & R2

Results

TestResult
R1Pass
R2Fail
R3 
R4 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jpc ,

Would you please try to split the dependency into rows by "& " in query editor:

Capture5.PNG

Then create a new relationship between result table and test table:

Capture6.PNG

Create a new column in test table: 

Result = IF("Fail" IN CALCULATETABLE(VALUES(Results[Result]),FILTER(Tests,Tests[Calculated Result] = EARLIER(Tests[Calculated Result]))),"Fail","Pass")

Capture7.PNG

Capture8.PNG

For more details, please refer to the pbix file: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/ERrFulLwM8pHjyUo9O...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jpc ,

Would you please try to split the dependency into rows by "& " in query editor:

Capture5.PNG

Then create a new relationship between result table and test table:

Capture6.PNG

Create a new column in test table: 

Result = IF("Fail" IN CALCULATETABLE(VALUES(Results[Result]),FILTER(Tests,Tests[Calculated Result] = EARLIER(Tests[Calculated Result]))),"Fail","Pass")

Capture7.PNG

Capture8.PNG

For more details, please refer to the pbix file: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/ERrFulLwM8pHjyUo9O...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@jpc 

not clear about the logic, R3 is deemed a pass because R1 is a pass. Why in the result , R1 is pass and R3 is blank?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks for taking time to read and try to understand my problem.

There is no test run for R3 and R4, so the dataset doesn't contain any pass/fail information.   

I see what you're saying, the results table would actually be like this (no result exists for R3 and R4)

Results

TestResult
R1Pass
R2Fail

And i wonder if it helps to rename the Tests/test column as calculated result and explicitly state the implied logic behind R1 and R2 like this:

Tests

Calculated ResultDependency
R1_calcR1
R2_calcR2
R3_calcR1
R4_calcR1 & R2

Now, I think I can see that having a relationship between the "Test" fields in both my originally defined tables was not the right approach.   But because i can have multiple dependencies, i'm not sure that adding a relationship between Dependency and Test is valid either.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.