Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Arranafc19
Helper IV
Helper IV

Check if ID previously existed outside of date range

Hi,

Looking for some guidance on a measure I am working on , not sure where I am going wrong.

I am trying to look at a list of ids and get a distinct count of ids created within that time , however I need to be able to exclude any that have a previous record before my selected date range.

Arranafc19_0-1690976832385.png

looking at the above example , between the date range of 01/08 and 02/08 , I have 4 cases that have a date added within that time , however two of these 13181 and 13190 have a record previously in the dataset outside the date range so I want to exclude these from the count as they arent new ids created in that range.

In the screenshot you can see my measure , however it seems to be affected by the slicer which is scewing the calculation.

My end goal would be something like this :

Calculate(distinctcount('IDS'[id]),Existed Previously = "No") 

so the count will only count cases that came in within the date range and it is the first time that they have existed in the whole dataset.

Anyone know where I am going wrong here ?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Arranafc19
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi @v-cgao-msft 

This works but as soon as I create a relationship between the date table and the ids table it breaks

I basically need this to filter to pull back all ids within a chosen date range , and then check if there has ever been a record previously and if so I need to exclude.

On the example file you gave I would be expecting to see on the 01/08 , 4 distinct ids and of those 4 , 2 are new because the other two had a record previously outside of the date range. Need to just see totals for this .

Also , can the check be for just those with a value ? If there the id is blank I dont want it excluded if there were blanks previous 

v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Arranafc19 ,

Please try:

New IDs =
VAR MinDate =
    MIN ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR MaxDate =
    MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
RETURN
    IF (
        ISBLANK (
            CALCULATE (
                DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'IDS'[ID] ),
                FILTER (
                    'IDS',
                    'IDS'[Date Added] >= MinDate
                        && 'IDS'[Date Added] <= MaxDate
                        && CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( 'IDS' ), 'IDS'[Date Added] < MinDate ) = 0
                )
            )
        ),
        "No",
        "Yes"
    )

vcgaomsft_0-1691136084515.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.