Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PBI_hlpr1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Cannot add dynamic values into text box

Hi all,

foro unknown reason after latest Power BI Desktop update (Nov 23)  I cannot add dynamic values into text boxes anymore :

PBI_hlpr1_0-1700754784314.png

as you see when I start typing for searching in measures the text becomes greyed out and nothing is retrieved.

As I know that this functionality is connected to the Q&A one, I tried to insert a Q&A visual and got this:

PBI_hlpr1_1-1700754945980.png

Any idea?

Thanks,

C.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PBI_hlpr1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi all,

I have now solved and hope this can help others. The problem is related to my report that had both dataset and visuals in the same PBIX file. Originally t was split in two separate PBIX (Dataset and report) that I later merged into a single PBIX. In this way the textbox visual couldn't see the columns and the measures of my model even if they were in the same file. Now that I have separated semantic model and report (as best practice is teaching) everything works correctly. In essence your report has to be "connected live" to you data model in order dynamic values can be retrieved:

PBI_hlpr1_0-1703163433795.png

Hope this helps.

Regards,

C.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
FEninja_
Frequent Visitor

** FIGURED IT OUT **
Was having the same problem.

Long story short, broke my Report into Semantic & Report View - then later tried to re-merge these reports. The result was that the Q&A & Dynamic Text only worked in the original semantic report, but no longer worked in the merged report. 

Initially, I thought this was because of the PowerBI versions - but after experimenting I learned that this issue wasn't due to the version.

HOW I SOLVED:

1. I learned from a different thread that if you try to EXPORT the Linguistic Schema - it will either succeed - or Fail (and give you an error message). Upon exporting, the error message gave me a specific error message that pointed me to a specific query in my dataset.

2. I went to the Query and DISABLED IT (uncheck "enable load")

3. SAVE AND UPDATE

4. The Error went away and the Q&A worked alongside dynamic text values

5. I went BACK to the query in query editor and RE-ENABLED it

6. SAVE AND UPDATE

7. Boom, Issue now resolved.

This issue cost me 3 days of productivity. If it helps you, thumbs up - and SPREAD THE WORD.

Clint
Helper V
Helper V

I am having this same issue - and have been since Nov-23 update - and the fact this marked as resolved when it clearly is not is ridiculous.  Please MS, undo whatever you did in Nov to break this for everyone.  

dharland
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

We are having the same issue with the latest version of PBI Desktop (Version: 2.124.1805.0 64-bit (December 2023)). And for existing reports developed in the past that already have dynamic content in text boxes, developers are unable to edit/view the dynamic value being used in those reports as well.

CRW512
Regular Visitor

I am also experiencing this issue. Dynamic values and Q&A no longer work after the November 2023 update, but only on one specific .pbix file. This issue has persisted into the December 2023 update. It's incredibly frustrating because I need to add new dynamic values into this report, and now have no option but to recreate the entire report in another report.

Dynamic values and Q&A work perfectly in every single report - both new and old - except this one! 

PBI_hlpr1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi all,

I have now solved and hope this can help others. The problem is related to my report that had both dataset and visuals in the same PBIX file. Originally t was split in two separate PBIX (Dataset and report) that I later merged into a single PBIX. In this way the textbox visual couldn't see the columns and the measures of my model even if they were in the same file. Now that I have separated semantic model and report (as best practice is teaching) everything works correctly. In essence your report has to be "connected live" to you data model in order dynamic values can be retrieved:

PBI_hlpr1_0-1703163433795.png

Hope this helps.

Regards,

C.

dharsanj
Helper II
Helper II

Encountering the same issue in the Dec 2023 version. I have these setting enabled, but I no longer have the ability to create nor update dynamic values in text box:

dharsanj_0-1703096120225.pngdharsanj_1-1703096127232.png

Jeff_Graves

Having same issue after updating to Nov. 2023 Power BI Desktop.  Cannot create or edit dynamic values in textbox.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PBI_hlpr1 , I tried on Nov 2023, it took time to suggest, but able to suggest it, and I am able to use it.

Make sure you have checked all Q&A options in File -> Options & Settings -> Options and try again.

Also, Make sure tenant setting are enables

If it does not work post that, log an issue.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

amitchandak_0-1700800325397.png

Thanks @amitchandak 

I forgot to mention that only one .pibx file behave that way. In option & settings everything looks ok:

PBI_hlpr1_0-1700811150703.png

and I have also cleared the Q&A cache:

PBI_hlpr1_1-1700811222050.png

It looks like the visual cannot access the dataset but my .pibx is an all-in (data + reports) so this sounds weird.

Hope someone can help?

I also had the same issue, maybe it's due to a bug in the latest version because I tried redownloading the older version and it work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.