Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Rubal_Islam
Helper II
Helper II

Automate Trailing 12 months Sales formula

Hi All,

I have two formulas that compare the base period (months) with the trailing 12 months of average energy consumption.

Base formula: July 2017 to  June 2018 (this is always static)

Base Energy Usage = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Data_Source[kWH]),DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date],DATE(2017,07,01),DATE(2018,06,01)))

Comparison formula: Trailing 12 months. This is not static and always changed. 
Comaprison Energy Usage = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Data_Source[kWH]),DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date],DATE(2021,02,28),DATE(2022,01,31)))

In February2022, the trailing 12 months period i am using are Feb2021 to Jan2021.

I am trying to automate the comparison formula so I dont have to update the date range every month.

I have a Date Table and in the Data_Source Table i have a month/year column which are connected.

I am not using any filter to select dates. Trying to make the formula dynamic so i dont have to change it every month.
I am showing the differrence in a chart like below.
Rubal_Islam_0-1645858822686.png

Appreciate your help on this guys.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Rubal_Islam 

After Date function where you are getting today's Date subtract with 30 get the previous month Date and it should work

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Rubal_Islam 

After Date function where you are getting today's Date subtract with 30 get the previous month Date and it should work

MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

@Rubal_Islam Share your Kudos as well by clicking on 👍 Icon!

Hi VijayP,

The below formula did the trick and it works like magic.

Comaprison Energy Usage v2 = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Data_Source[kWH]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY()),DAY(TODAY())-30),-1,YEAR))

Thank you very much.

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Rubal_Islam 

CALCULATE(Your Measure,DATESINPERIOD(Dates[Date],DAte(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY()),DAY(TODAY())),-1,YEAR))
Try using this function to get the required result and Share your Kudos

Hi VijayP,

Thanks for reverting to me. The formula almost works. The only issue is my data is  I need to calculate from Feb21 to Jan22, Not March 21 to Jan22. I have a month's lag on data. I believe the today function for Month and day calculating it from March 22 , -1 year.

Comaprison Energy Usage v2 = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Data_Source[kWH]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY()),DAY(TODAY())),-1,YEAR))

With the Formula, i am getting the below results.

Rubal_Islam_1-1645945076502.png

Please Note: 92,664 is the correct result. The Comparison Energy Usage V2 is calulating from Mar21 to Jan22, where as i need to calulate the data from Feb21 to Jan22.

Rubal_Islam_2-1645945201202.png

If you please can help how can i change the Month(Today() from Previous Month and Day from Today to Previous Month Day will be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if I need to clarify any further.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.