Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Coriel-11
Resolver I
Resolver I

Amending measures from a semantic model in Power BI Desktop

Hi,
I'm trying to build a new report in Power BI desktop using data imported from two semantic models hosted on powerbi.com.

I've selected the various tables, but I seemingly can't edit the measures imported from the models, which is a shame because some of them relate to tables I didn't import (I'm mainly thinking about the Calendar table in the second model: I thought there was no point in having two).

Three questions then:

Am I right in assuming that this is because the model is imported?
Am I still OK connecting the tables form the 2nd model to the Calendar table in the 1st model?
If I want to amend measures am I basically going to have to write all those again? (well, paste)

It's the first time I've tried something like this so if anyone has any relevant tips then I'd love to hear them.

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Coriel-11 ,

Yes, because the measures are part of the imported model, which is read-only in Power BI Desktop.

You can join the tables in the second model to the calendar tables in the first model. However, be sure to set up the relationship between the tables correctly to accurately reflect the data.

If you need to modify a measure, you might need to recreate the metric in Power BI Desktop. You can copy the DAX expression from the original metric and modify it as needed in a new report.

If you have additional questions or need more detailed guidance, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Coriel-11
Resolver I
Resolver I

Thank you @v-yifanw-msft . Much appreciated.

v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Coriel-11 ,

Yes, because the measures are part of the imported model, which is read-only in Power BI Desktop.

You can join the tables in the second model to the calendar tables in the first model. However, be sure to set up the relationship between the tables correctly to accurately reflect the data.

If you need to modify a measure, you might need to recreate the metric in Power BI Desktop. You can copy the DAX expression from the original metric and modify it as needed in a new report.

If you have additional questions or need more detailed guidance, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.