Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Adding counts together from different columns with different filters

Hi, 

Sorry if I'm being rather silly but this is something I really struggle with in PowerBI as I've had no training in the coding language used and don't particularly use measures unless I'm shown how. 

I am trying to add together counts based on two filters from one column say Count A (filter 1 & 2 applied) plus Count B from a second column (filter 1 applied) to get a total figure - this seems easy in my head/using other tools but I can't seem to crack it in PowerBI Desktop. 

Is there a simple way to calculate this please? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello! You would create measures to handle this. Let's say you have a table with store numbers, sku sold, date, units sold and $ sold, but you want to know how many skus any given store sold for category A and B and you want to know how many for C & D, and you want to know the total of those.

Ideally, you will have a dim_store_list table that has all the details about the store numbers (address, city, state, phone, etc), a dim_date_table (date, month number, month name, quarter, week number, etc.), a dim_products table (sku number, sku description, category, brand, sub-category, sub-brand, etc). These tables would be joined to the fact_sales table I mentioned in the first paragraph.

You could then make a measure that would be for sales (Sales = SUM('YourTable'[Sales]), then you could create the first filtered measure; for my example, I just want to see the sum of sales for Bikes and Accessories

Sales (Bikes and Accessories) =
CALCULATE(
    [Sales],
    'Product'[Category] IN { "Accessories", "Bikes" }
)

You would do the same for the second set of conditions you have, then you would make a measure to add these two measures together.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello! You would create measures to handle this. Let's say you have a table with store numbers, sku sold, date, units sold and $ sold, but you want to know how many skus any given store sold for category A and B and you want to know how many for C & D, and you want to know the total of those.

Ideally, you will have a dim_store_list table that has all the details about the store numbers (address, city, state, phone, etc), a dim_date_table (date, month number, month name, quarter, week number, etc.), a dim_products table (sku number, sku description, category, brand, sub-category, sub-brand, etc). These tables would be joined to the fact_sales table I mentioned in the first paragraph.

You could then make a measure that would be for sales (Sales = SUM('YourTable'[Sales]), then you could create the first filtered measure; for my example, I just want to see the sum of sales for Bikes and Accessories

Sales (Bikes and Accessories) =
CALCULATE(
    [Sales],
    'Product'[Category] IN { "Accessories", "Bikes" }
)

You would do the same for the second set of conditions you have, then you would make a measure to add these two measures together.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.