Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ChrisM2091
Frequent Visitor

Unable to use On-Prem SQL Server Database as Data Destination in Dataflow Gen2

I am trying to find a way to load data from my Azure Data Warehouse to our On-Prem SQL Server Database and it seems like this is simply not possible to do since there is some kind of error or limitation around every corner. 

The documentation claims to have a workaround but from what I can tell that only works if you are using On-Prem as a data source which is not what I need to do. I tried the workaround using the SQL Server DB as the destination and whenever I do that it switches the gateway for the source to the on-prem gateway and breaks the dataflow since the warehouse does not go through the gateway. 

Just want to know if this is even something that can be done and if it can, is it possible to accomplish through a dataflow/data pipeline. 

5 REPLIES 5
pqian_MSFT
Employee
Employee

For dataflow to move data between source and destination, both the source and destination must be visible to the execution engine. Since one of them is OnPrem, then the whole execution must be on prem. You will need to have line of sight to the warehouse from your GW and try using the SQL destination. 

Hi @ChrisM2091 

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if you have a resolution yet.
In case if you have any resolution please do share that same with the community as it can be helpful to others.
Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.

Thanks.

Hi @ChrisM2091 

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if you have a resolution yet. In case if you have any resolution please do share that same with the community as it can be helpful to others.
If you have any question relating to the current thread, please do let us know and we will try out best to help you.
In case if you have any other question on a different issue, we request you to open a new thread.

Thanks.

dbrowne
Employee
Employee

I'm not sure dataflows officially support SQL Server as a destination, but I just tried it and it worked.  It must use an on prem data gateway, and you must disable staging.  

Soon Pipelines will also be supported on the On Prem data gateway, which officially support SQL Server as a destination.

v-cboorla-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ChrisM2091 

Thanks for using Microsoft Fabric Community.
At this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this .
We will update you once we hear back from them.

Appreciate your patience.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFBCUpdateCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.