Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

amolt
Helper III
Helper III

Dataflow runs for hours

Hello,
I regularly have Gen2 dataflows that get stuck in refresh mode for hours on end, consuming all the resources of my capacity. Under normal circumstances, these dataflows only last a few minutes (they only load one table from a cvs).
I tried to restart the gateway, without success.
What can I do?

Thanks for your help

9 REPLIES 9
v-cboorla-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @amolt 

Following up to check if you have a resolution yet. In case if you have any resolution please do share the same with community as it can be helpful to others.
Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help .

Thanks

Hi @v-cboorla-msft ,

Unfortunately I have no other solution than not to use pipelines to run Gen2 dataflow.

Thanks

DataPne
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue - support hasn't been able to help other than suggesting not to use Gen2 dataflows.

Not really feasible - surprising how bad this product is.

Joshrodgers123
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I have the same issue trying to load from on-prem SQL Server with the latest gateway. 

With a gen 1 dataflow, the table loads in a couple seconds. With gen2 and staging enabled, it takes a few minutes. Turning off staging, which I'd like to do since the query can fold, it takes an hour and a half and fails 9 out of 10 times.

HimanshuS-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hello @amolt 
Thanks for using the Fabric community.

As I understand the current inquiry, the question is why Dataflow Gen2 is taking more time than usual. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

You mentioned that it's 'consuming all the resources of my capacity,' which seems unusual and suggests that there may be other activities occurring concurrently, such as another scheduled data flow. If you're uncertain, you could attempt to reschedule the Dataflow during off-hours to see if this adjustment results in fewer failures.

Thanks
HImanshu

Hello @HimanshuS-msft ,
Thank you for your reply.
No, I don't have any other treatment in parallel. During this last execution, the dataflow lasted more than 5h against a few minutes usually.

Thanks

Hi @DataPne , @Joshrodgers123 ,

Do you use a pipeline to execute your dataflows ?
In my case, I noticed that my problems came when I used a pipeline to schedule the execution of the gen2 dataflow.

DataPne
Frequent Visitor

Hi @amolt ,

The issue seems to present itself even just when executing the pipelines manually from the UI.

It will maybe run successfully 1/10 times. 

Have you managed to find any work arounds on your side?

Hi @DataPne ,

I've found no other solution than to dispense with pipelines to run dataflows. I make individual schedules for each dataflow. It's really not great.
If anyone has a better solution, I'm interested.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.