Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cfccai
Advocate II
Advocate II

If Fabric Mirroring lost Constraints

Hello

Recently I am exploring Fabric Mirroring, which is really fast and continueslly for data integration. 

While I am wondering if Mirror bring the constraints from source database tables, as we need the primary key to do merge operation in Spark for next (aggregation) steps.

Mirror will repliate the source database tables into Warehouse in Microsoft OneLake. But seems like it will only copy the table schema and the data, not constraints. 

I have a simple test: 

• I have Azure SQL database table 'Customer' which has Primary key.

cfccai_1-1712122592668.png

• After Mirroring, cannot see any constraints of the replicated table. Table dbo_customer is the one right after the Mirroring, without any transformation/operation. 
  • cfccai_2-1712122731808.png

Just wanted to double confirm that, if Mirroring lost all the constraints of the source tables?

Can anyone help to have a check. Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cfccai 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
Mirroring replicates the 'data'. Constraints and security constructs on the tables are not moved. So just to confirm, the constraints are NOT lost, they are never moved, we only move the data. The constraints are required at write time surely, and mirroring creates a read-only version of the data (at which point the constraints should be enforced).
This is by design, but we are always looking for feedback on the product, so encourage you if you give your feedback here: Home (microsoft.com)

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cfccai 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
Mirroring replicates the 'data'. Constraints and security constructs on the tables are not moved. So just to confirm, the constraints are NOT lost, they are never moved, we only move the data. The constraints are required at write time surely, and mirroring creates a read-only version of the data (at which point the constraints should be enforced).
This is by design, but we are always looking for feedback on the product, so encourage you if you give your feedback here: Home (microsoft.com)

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks for your explain. This is helpful. 

Hi @cfccai 
Glad that your query got resolved. Please continue using Fabric Community for any help regarding your queries.

Hi @cfccai 
We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if your query got resolved. Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.
Thanks

Hi @cfccai 
We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if your query got resolved. Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.
Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.