Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MJEnnis
Helper V
Helper V

Survivor curve using running/cummulative totals of counts

I am constructing a “survivor curve” of sorts. Really it is the inverse of a survivor curve in that it is not plotting “survivors” but “non-survivors” over time. Specifically, I am plotting the percentage/proportion of students who have not  yet met their language requirements each day since they matriculated at a university.

The reference table contains data for all students. The relevant data is something like this.

Student ID

Time to Exit Requirement

Exit Status

2 At Matriculation

3 On time

3 On time

4 Late

1 N/A

4 Late

5 Not yet

I have successfully created a calculated table that is essentially a distribution of the number of students who met their requirement each day from beginning of studies (0 days) to however long it takes (4000+ days in rare cases). The following code (sans some other columns for statistical analyses) did the trick to get me a static survivor curve:

Survivor Curve = 

VAR DAYS = DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER('Student Language Levels', NOT(ISBLANK('Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status]))),
"Days", 'Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status]
))

VAR MET = ADDCOLUMNS(DAYS,
"Met", COUNTROWS(FILTER('Student Language Levels', [Days] = 'Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status] && 'Student Language Levels'[Exit Status] <> "5 Not Yet" && 'Student Language Levels'[Exit Status] <> "1 N/A" && NOT(ISBLANK('Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status])))))

VAR TOTAL = ADDCOLUMNS(MET,
"Total", Calculate(COUNTROWS('Student Language Levels'), FILTER('Student Language Levels', NOT(ISBLANK('Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status])))))

VAR REMAINING_NOW = ADDCOLUMNS(TOTAL,
"Remaining_N", DIVIDE([Total] - COUNTROWS(FILTER('Student Language Levels', [Days] >= 'Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status] && 'Student Language Levels'[Exit Status] <> "5 Not Yet" && 'Student Language Levels'[Exit Status] <> "1 N/A" && NOT(ISBLANK('Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status])))), [Total]))

RETURN SELECTCOLUMNS(REMAINING_NOW,
"Days", [Days],
"Met", [Met],
"Remaining_N", [Remaining_N])

Screenshot (38).png

However, I need the values beling plotted as a measure so that I can apply various filters available in my model. One obvious example is that in need to be able to filter out students with the status of “5 Not yet” in certain cases. But the data can be segmented in many other ways as well… And the filters obvious will not work on my calculated distribution table.

However, when I try using this similar code as a measure, it only gets me part of the way there.

PERCENT_NOT_MET = 

Var MET = COUNTROWS(FILTER('Student Language Levels', 'Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status] >= 'Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status] && 'Student Language Levels'[Exit Status] <> "5 Not Yet" && 'Student Language Levels'[Exit Status] <> "1 N/A" && NOT(ISBLANK('Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status]))))

Var STS = COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL('Student Language Levels'), 'Student Language Levels'[Exit Status] <> "1 N/A" && NOT(ISBLANK('Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status]))))

Var PERCENT_NOT_MET = DIVIDE(STS-MET, STS)

RETURN PERCENT_NOT_MET

Rather than summing the running totals (including all previous days) for each new day, it only returns the daily total. This is because the calculate table includes a “days” column, whereas the measure returns row-by-row results for “time to exit requirements”. It is completely ignoring the ">=". And so when I plot the measure by “Time to exit requirement”, it does not sum.

Screenshot (40).png

Any ideas on how to get the measure to sum properly on the graph?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Figured it out. I tried to construct the table within the measure, but it still wasn't working. Eventually I looked up various solutions for measures of "running totals" or "cummulative tolals". This did the trick: 

Survivors = 

Var TOT_STS = COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Student Language Levels'), 'Student Language Levels'[Exit Status] <> "1 N/A" && NOT(ISBLANK('Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status]))))

Var TOT_MET =
Calculate(COUNT('Student Language Levels'[Student ID]), 
NOT('Student Language Levels'[Exit Status] IN {"1 N/A", "5 Not Yet"})
&& NOT(ISBLANK('Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status])),
FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Student Language Levels'), 'Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status] <= MAX('Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status]))
)

Var Percent_Met = Divide(TOT_MET,TOT_STS)

Var Percent_NOT_Met = Divide(TOT_STS-TOT_MET,TOT_STS)

RETURN Percent_NOT_Met

Will see if I can make it more efficient...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MJEnnis
Helper V
Helper V

I intentionally avoided using SUMMARIZE in the calculated table, as I knew that I ultimately needed a measure. But now I am wondering if I could use SUMMARIZE also for the measure...

Figured it out. I tried to construct the table within the measure, but it still wasn't working. Eventually I looked up various solutions for measures of "running totals" or "cummulative tolals". This did the trick: 

Survivors = 

Var TOT_STS = COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Student Language Levels'), 'Student Language Levels'[Exit Status] <> "1 N/A" && NOT(ISBLANK('Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status]))))

Var TOT_MET =
Calculate(COUNT('Student Language Levels'[Student ID]), 
NOT('Student Language Levels'[Exit Status] IN {"1 N/A", "5 Not Yet"})
&& NOT(ISBLANK('Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status])),
FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Student Language Levels'), 'Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status] <= MAX('Student Language Levels'[Time to Exit Status]))
)

Var Percent_Met = Divide(TOT_MET,TOT_STS)

Var Percent_NOT_Met = Divide(TOT_STS-TOT_MET,TOT_STS)

RETURN Percent_NOT_Met

Will see if I can make it more efficient...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors