Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Jack007
Frequent Visitor

How does variable works with the Calculate Function?

I am learning variables in BI. 

I want to create a measure that calculates revenue for all years(remove filter context on calendar). I came up with 2 ways to do it. 

Method 1. Create a measure called Revenue,  

Jack007_0-1695806937545.png

then I created a new measure called Total Revenue using the code below.
Total Revenue =    
    var aa=
    CALCULATE([Revenue],ALL('Calendar'))
    return aa
This gives me the corrected result because revenue is same across years.

Method 2. 

Total Revenue =
    Var revenue_calc=
    SUMX('Sales by store','Sales by store'[quantity_sold]*'Sales by store'[unit_price])
    CALCULATE(revenue_calc,ALL('Calendar'))
    return Total Revenue
I'm not getting the correct result because revenue varies from year to year.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Alf94
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jack007 ,

Your second measure does not return the expected result because the revenue_calc value is calculated once, and never more. It is calculated when your variable is declared, when the calendar filter context is active. Your variable therefore stores revenues for the selected year. Then, in the "calculate()" part, this value is called directly and not recalculated, so the ALL() function doesn't change anything.

I am not sure my explanations are understandable 🙂 but you can find the idea in this article.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as a solution.

Best,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Alf94
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jack007 ,

Your second measure does not return the expected result because the revenue_calc value is calculated once, and never more. It is calculated when your variable is declared, when the calendar filter context is active. Your variable therefore stores revenues for the selected year. Then, in the "calculate()" part, this value is called directly and not recalculated, so the ALL() function doesn't change anything.

I am not sure my explanations are understandable 🙂 but you can find the idea in this article.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as a solution.

Best,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.