Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Supritha1594
Regular Visitor

Show Slicer Values based on the logged in user in Power BI

Dear Community,

I have a slicer with the list of cost centers. I want to display cost centers of the logged in user in the cost center slicer. How can I do this in power BI. I have created a visualization which filters the data based on the slicers selection. I do not want to show all the cost centers to the logged in user. I want to show the cost ceters to which they belong to or have access to.

Kindly share the knowledge!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DallasBaba
Super User
Super User

@Supritha1594 you can use Row-Level Security (RLS).  Create a table showcasing user names and their corresponding accessible cost centers.

Navigate to the "Modeling" tab in Power BI Desktop and access "Manage Roles."

Initiate a new role by clicking on "Create."

Within the "Table Permissions" section, designate the table housing cost centers.

Move to the "Filter" section, opt for "Only show the rows where," and select the column with user names and cost centers. Save the role by clicking "OK."

Once you have created the role, you can publish the report to Power BI Service. This YouTube video should be helpful for you.

Let me know if this works for you. @ me in replies, or I'll lose your thread!!!  
Note:
If this post is helpful, please mark it as the solution to help others find it easily. Also, if my answers contribute to a solution, show your appreciation by giving it a thumbs up

Best Regards,
Dallas.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DallasBaba
Super User
Super User

@Supritha1594 I'm Happy to know it works.  Kindly @ me with any future needs around Power BI and Fabric.

Best Regards,
Dallas.
DallasBaba
Super User
Super User

@Supritha1594 you can use Row-Level Security (RLS).  Create a table showcasing user names and their corresponding accessible cost centers.

Navigate to the "Modeling" tab in Power BI Desktop and access "Manage Roles."

Initiate a new role by clicking on "Create."

Within the "Table Permissions" section, designate the table housing cost centers.

Move to the "Filter" section, opt for "Only show the rows where," and select the column with user names and cost centers. Save the role by clicking "OK."

Once you have created the role, you can publish the report to Power BI Service. This YouTube video should be helpful for you.

Let me know if this works for you. @ me in replies, or I'll lose your thread!!!  
Note:
If this post is helpful, please mark it as the solution to help others find it easily. Also, if my answers contribute to a solution, show your appreciation by giving it a thumbs up

Best Regards,
Dallas.

Thanks alot @DallasBaba for your response! It really worked well...I followed the youtube video and the steps that you have mentioned above.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors