Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BramSchreuder
Regular Visitor

Problem with using .jpg file in custom visual

Hi Guys,

In my visual.ts im trying to import a texture file (.jpg) for further use. See below:

const loader = new THREE.TextureLoader();

const diffuseTexture = loader.load('./texture.png');
diffuseTexture.wrapS = diffuseTexture.wrapT = THREE.RepeatWrapping;

However this will give me the following error:

Access to image at 'https://app.powerbi.com/13.01.xxxxxx.59/texture.png' from origin 'null' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource.

Does it make sense CORS policy gets triggered even when the .jpg file is part of the custom visual repository?

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @BramSchreuder ,

Unfortunately, the webpack configuration bundled with the core powerbi-visuals-tools package does not allow images to be loaded into JS/TS as assets at compile time.

If using the powerbi-visuals-tools to manage your visual packaging, you can embed a local file as a class in the visual's CSS (visual.less file) using the following syntax (using a URL relative to the visual.less file):

.background {
    background-image: url('../assets/texture.jpg)
}

If you can re-use this asset in a DOM element, then this can be a valid workaround. Otherwise, as @Paulhaha has suggested, you'll need to use the JS file API to manually load it into the visual.

If this does not work for you, you might need to look at building a custom webpack configuration with powerbi-visuals-webpack-plugin to configure your own loaders. Note that this moves the management of the packaging to you rather than MS.

One other possibility is requesting MS adds the ability to include local assets vis JS in their configuration for powerbi-visuals-tools, and the best way to start this off would be creating an issue in their repo for it.

Hopefully, this will give you some ideas on how to proceed. Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Paulhaha
Helper I
Helper I

Hello

Based on my knowledges (I hope I'm wrong), expect the icon, you can't load or deal with local images since they are not packaged in the visual.

Otherwise, you can try to upload your image online, fetch it with JS and then work with it

javascript - Fetch image from API - Stack Overflow

Fetching and Displaying Images with the Fetch API (rapidapi.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors