Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

heyitssree

Creating measure using user input in Slicer based on What-if Parameter

Hi there,

I'm coming from Amazon Quicksight and have been working with Power BI for less than two months only. 

One requirement we have currently is to provide a slicer for collecting user input (whole number), which will then be used for calculating mesaures.

I created a What-if parameter, with range between 0-100,000,000 and increment of 1, and using a slicer out of the same, in single value format, without the slider.

Issue is, for small values like 1,000 once I enter the value and hit enter (or even click outside the slicer), the slicer reverts to 0. And when I enter bigger values, it readjusts to some value close to the inut but less than that (eg: If I input 50000, it is changed to 49950). 

When I reduced the range to something like 10,000 it seems the slicer was accepting more values. But the problem is, the requirement needs the range to be this high.

Anybody know why this is happening? And any solution for my requirement?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That's how slicers work - you can have a maximum of 1000 discrete values. Your  "range between 0-100,000,000 and increment of 1,"  is far, far outside these limits.

Use the filter pane instead and teach your users how to use it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
heyitssree

Thanks. I have made adjustments with the range and increment so that the available 1002 values in the slicer fits the need of business users

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That's how slicers work - you can have a maximum of 1000 discrete values. Your  "range between 0-100,000,000 and increment of 1,"  is far, far outside these limits.

Use the filter pane instead and teach your users how to use it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors