Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gregentrican
Frequent Visitor

Slow Overwrite Publishing to the PBI Service

Does anyone know how to resolve slow overwrite publishing of datasets/reports? It does not seem that anyone has posted anything concerning this since 2018, and it "seems" that the issue must have been resolved with a new desktop release at that time. The overwrite publishing of datasets/reports can take a long long time, but strangely this is not always true. The time this takes is very inconsistent. If it the dataset/report does not exist, the publish to the service is quick. When it is an overwrite publish it can take hours. What is causing this? Was it a new release that is casuing this? How can this be resolved?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gregentrican
Frequent Visitor

This worked for me. Go to the service, hit the Get Data button (bottom left), choose Local file, browse to the .pbix file, and upload.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Error-when-Publishing-The-remote-server-returned-an-error-4...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
gregentrican
Frequent Visitor

This worked for me. Go to the service, hit the Get Data button (bottom left), choose Local file, browse to the .pbix file, and upload.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Error-when-Publishing-The-remote-server-returned-an-error-4...

Triple_Agent
Advocate I
Advocate I

Finally somebody else with this issue! For the last week or more, publishing has gone from a 30s process to a sometimes 30+ minute ordeal. Just like you said, it only seems to happen if overwriting an existing report/dataset. I've even had a few instances where publishing fails with an internal server error message (500). Also, Power BI desktop has randomly been signing me out when I try to publish.

It might be unrelated, but our dataflow refresh times have gone from 3 or 4 minutes to 2+ hours and even timing out at the 3 hour mark occasionally. I've tried updating Power BI desktop, and the data gateway to no effect.

Lastly, even browsing PowerBI.com has gotten slow periodically and won't load the workspace or reports.

Hopefully we can get some kind of offical word on this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors