cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anrodez Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Desktop or Excel 2013 for a beginner ?

Hi All,

I have been asked to do a tool review for Power BI within 3 days. I was going ahead with installing office 2013 + add-in's when I found out that MS has made Power BI desktop available. Since the desktop version doesnt need office 2013 (I am currently on office 2010), I went ahead with Power BI desktop.

I am finding the GUI little confusing as most of the tutorials I have been going through were using excel 2013 addin's.

So my question, can I achieve everything in PowerBI desktop that can be done using PowerView,PowerPivot,PowerQuery and Powermap. ? My current concerns are mostly only on the type of visualisations/dashboards that I will be able to create and not how its shared(sharepoint/cloud).

I found Map visualization options really different in PowerBI desktop as compared to what I saw in tutorials for excel 2013 power map.

Kind Regards,

Antony.

6 REPLIES 6
ashishrj Senior Member

Re: Power BI Desktop or Excel 2013 for a beginner ?

@anrodez I will recommend you Desktop tool for the following reasons:

1. More then 20 different types of visualization supported in Desktop tool as compared to Excel which only supports 5-6 types

2. Pin tiles after doing Q&A on dashboard in new Power BI Online

3. Separation of Dashboard, Dataset and Reports in new Power BI

4. Maps are not as powerful as Power maps but still can serve the purpose

5. New Power BI supports data refresh for almost every data sources

YES you can achieve everything using Power BI Desktop tool as in Power BI for Office 365 and I guess with more functionalities.

Hope this helps!

JasonDunbar Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

And of course, when you need to share from your desktop... They'll publish to Power BI (the cloud, not desktop) :-)

Hi Jason,

Instead of publishing it in power bi cloud, is it possible to host it in an isolated enterprise environment and give access to certain set of users  ?

KR's

Antony.

andre
Advisor

@anrodez there are some differences between Old "Excel" Power View and the new one.

here is an article that explains some of these differences:

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/663517-converting-your-reports-to-the-new-report-...

In general though, i would recommend that you use the Desktop simply because it is always in sync with the Power BI Service and it desktop tool that gets all of the new innovation first.

aaucoinjr Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

In terms of isolation, you can set up your PowerBI site and only share with certain folks.  So you have the ability to silo your data as you see fit.

As far as a "private cloud" edition, i heard at a recent conference that it was on the radar, but no release date, release imminent type of answer at the moment.

Highlighted
JasonDunbar Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Quick thing to add here, with the discussion going in the way of on premise and private cloud - there have been some interesting new announcements in the roadmap of SQL 2016:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dataplatforminsider/archive/2015/10/29/microsoft-business-intelligence-ou...