Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

workspaces, Parameters and datasets in powerbi service

Hi Community

I have the next situation:

I want to create a report with a dataset that comes from an store procedure excecuted with parameters.  In order to increase the performace of the data loading I wanted to split the info comming from SQL.  The parameters will be the year and the company name and I am planning to share this into a workspace. 

Each user seeing the report might need to change the year or the company according to his needs and then refresh the dataset.  What I am wondering is if everytime some one changes the parameters and refreshes the dataset that will change the dataset of the other users who are currently seeing this report?  Please note that because of the parameters the dataset will come with one year at the time.

for ex:  User1 wants to see the report for 2020 but User2 connected at the same time wants to work in the data for 2019.  is it possible? is it the dataset an instance for each user? or it is unique for the workspace?

In case my aproach is not correct is there a better way to approach this situation?

Thanks in advance

Angelica.

3 REPLIES 3
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @angelikamariae ,

If you change the parameter and refresh the dataset, all users will be affected.

You can try use slicers and filters as @Greg_Deckler  mentioned above.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-slicers.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-report-add-filter.

And please check the documents about Row-level security in Power BI.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-rls.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hi Grey and Jay.

Thanks for having the time to reply to my question and thanks for the links.

I have seen the slicers which I think is cool, but it will still put me in the situation of downloading the whole data with all the years info wich is slow because is will often need to be refreshed.  This is what I was trying to avoid with an store procedure with parameters. So I got into this question.

I though also about the posibility of choosing the parameters from the report, but looks like it is not possible to have it directly there but going to the configuration and that is not users friendly, even if I get there I still will have to deal with the fact that the dataset will change for all the users 😞

It looks like the only way for me will be deal with direct query or see how bad will be refreshing all the data everytime..

Thanks

Angelica.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

It will change the dataset for all users.

Better to bring it all in and slice and dice it in Power BI if feasible.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors