Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

timrobertsusa
Frequent Visitor

workspace upgrade to v2-- queue - start and completion

Admin Portal-- Workspaces: Several of my workspaces show upgrade status completed -- For the workspace I need now to be V2 how can I tell when it will be started and completed? How can I start it if not already in the queue? Also is there a property (UI) to tell that it is V2?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
edhans
Super User
Super User

Workspace upgrades are near instant. Only takes a few seconds.

They will have a toolbar that looks like this:

edhans_0-1658441605420.png

and if you go to the workspace settings there will be a DELETE button. You cannot delete Gen1 workspaces from PowerBI.

If you go to the Admin Panel for Power BI and select Workspaces, all new workspaces are of type Workspace. The originals were type Group.

edhans_1-1658441728733.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

Not sure what status you are referring to. If it was upgraded a long time ago, or never upgraded because it was v2 to start with (they stopped allowing v1 workgroup creating long a go) there might not be a status to show.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Ahh - ok, thanks for the screenshot.

1. The "Bulk Upgrade" dialog at the top is there for everyone, whether you have workspaces eligible for upgrade or not. There is no intelligence to it. Ignore it if you have no workspaces that are Group type.
  2. I am not sure how long the "completed" status remains. None of my workspaces show it was completed because I did all of mine over a year ago, so I think at some point that history goes away. As long as they are all set to "Workspace" you are good.

5 REPLIES 5
timrobertsusa
Frequent Visitor

screenshot admin portal workspace--showing upgrade status??Blank vs Completed??

timrobertsusa_0-1658490090947.png

Ahh - ok, thanks for the screenshot.

1. The "Bulk Upgrade" dialog at the top is there for everyone, whether you have workspaces eligible for upgrade or not. There is no intelligence to it. Ignore it if you have no workspaces that are Group type.
  2. I am not sure how long the "completed" status remains. None of my workspaces show it was completed because I did all of mine over a year ago, so I think at some point that history goes away. As long as they are all set to "Workspace" you are good.

timrobertsusa
Frequent Visitor

also notifications I found-- Upgrade classic workspaces to the new workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

It is wierd that the only way is to see workspaces instead of group. Thank you for replying and your answer. The TYpe says Workspace but the Status is blank and many say complete. What does Status= blank or complete mean?

Not sure what status you are referring to. If it was upgraded a long time ago, or never upgraded because it was v2 to start with (they stopped allowing v1 workgroup creating long a go) there might not be a status to show.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Workspace upgrades are near instant. Only takes a few seconds.

They will have a toolbar that looks like this:

edhans_0-1658441605420.png

and if you go to the workspace settings there will be a DELETE button. You cannot delete Gen1 workspaces from PowerBI.

If you go to the Admin Panel for Power BI and select Workspaces, all new workspaces are of type Workspace. The originals were type Group.

edhans_1-1658441728733.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors