Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

will i be able to display more then 1000000 rows

will i be able to display more then 1000000 rows

it throws a error while displaying the report

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Power BI creates queries that are as efficient as possible. Under certain situations however, the generated query may not be efficient enough to avoid refresh that would fail. One example of this situation is when a generated query would retrieve an excessively large number of rows (more than 1 million) from the back-end data source, in which case the following error occurs:

The resultset of a query to external data source has exceeded
the maximum allowed size of '1000000' rows.

This situation can occur with a simple chart that includes a very high cardinality column, with the aggregation option set to Don’t Summarize. The visual needs to only have columns with a cardinality below 1 million, or must have appropriate filters applied.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
shyammayhs
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi @v-frfei-msft, @GilbertQ 

Is there a way to show a personalised message when this error shows up on a visual? For example when the error shows up, the message I would like to display should say, 'please select a filter to view the table'.

Thanks.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

My question would be why would you want to show 1 million records?

You would not be able to view that much data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree i would not be able to see whole data at once anyways  just curious about knowing rather then setting default filters can we do something else ??

You can always view all the data in the Table View in Power BI Desktop

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Power BI creates queries that are as efficient as possible. Under certain situations however, the generated query may not be efficient enough to avoid refresh that would fail. One example of this situation is when a generated query would retrieve an excessively large number of rows (more than 1 million) from the back-end data source, in which case the following error occurs:

The resultset of a query to external data source has exceeded
the maximum allowed size of '1000000' rows.

This situation can occur with a simple chart that includes a very high cardinality column, with the aggregation option set to Don’t Summarize. The visual needs to only have columns with a cardinality below 1 million, or must have appropriate filters applied.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors