Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

will RLS applies when i share the reports through apps?

anyone tried of sharing the reports to external users by publishing through apps ?. Wil RLS works if i publish the reports for external users using apps ?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous- Both are two different things. Workspace access is access to the entire workspace - Dashboard, Report, Workbooks and  Datasets. If the Workspace is set to 'Member can edit content' all defined members in the workspace can edit any of this content, if the workspace is set to 'Members can view content' members can ONLY view content. When publishing selected reports/dashboard as an App and giving access to the App you are giving those defined users access to basically a content pack or ONE link containing all of your published reports/dashboards in that App. A user can be a member to a workspace but not an App and vice versa. Hopefully that clears it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, the RLS could work for your report in app, but you need to check that the one you want to share could not have the "Edit" permission.

Reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls#using-rls-with-app-workspaces-in-power-bi

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont see any edit permission which you are speaking about . can you see the below screenshot which i attached in below :

access.jpg

can i ping in IM to discuss on it ?

@Anonymous - You can check if the Workspace is set to 'Members can view content' vs 'Members can edit content' by clicking on the ellipsis right next to App Workspace name and clicking on 'Edit Workspace' 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nirvana_moksh : Thanks for answer . i am trying to publish the workspace as app . when i publishing it  as app i am trying to give the access as shown in the screenshot above . Giving the access at workspace as member  and giving the access while pulishng the app it's  one and the same ?. can you please clarify me in detail please .

@Anonymous- Both are two different things. Workspace access is access to the entire workspace - Dashboard, Report, Workbooks and  Datasets. If the Workspace is set to 'Member can edit content' all defined members in the workspace can edit any of this content, if the workspace is set to 'Members can view content' members can ONLY view content. When publishing selected reports/dashboard as an App and giving access to the App you are giving those defined users access to basically a content pack or ONE link containing all of your published reports/dashboards in that App. A user can be a member to a workspace but not an App and vice versa. Hopefully that clears it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nirvana_moksh  : Thanks for detailed answer  that really helps . One more question may be out of conext to this thread . If i want to share the reports to b2b via RLS what is the best option which normally to go with and industry recomands .can you suggest here please

@Anonymous- This document should help you out on that:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b#next-steps

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nirvana_moksh : Thanks again . I see below statement

External B2B guests are limited to consumption of content only. External B2B guests can view apps, dashboards, reports, export data and create email subscriptions for dashboards and reports. They can't access workspaces or publish their own content.

This means guest users even if added to members of workspace for view  or  If i they have own license of power bi pro they wont access workspaces?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors