cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diriver63 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: which are the differences between power bi free and power bi pro?

@tschmidt87 I'm currently testing PowerBI and have the same question. Would I need to get ~100+ pro licenses? or would it be enough to just have ~5 Pro + ~100 free? My infrastructure is similar in the sense that we have some on-premise data that needs to be brougth to Power BI cloud via Data Gateway. If you don't mind me asking, what were your findings in terms of licensing for your case?

Thanks,

diriver63 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@tschmidt87 I'm currently testing PowerBI and have the same question. Would I need to get ~100+ pro licenses? or would it be enough to just have ~5 Pro + ~100 free? My infrastructure is similar to yours in the sense that we have some on-premise data that needs to be brougth to Power BI cloud via Data Gateway. If you don't mind me asking, what were your findings in terms of licensing for your case?

Thanks,

tschmidt87 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@diriver63, we ended up getting approx. 50+ pro licenses for anyone who uses PowerBI in any way.

I have no idea why the pro features were working for free users in the beginning but it MAY have something to do with the fact that i used "publish to web" and embedded all reports into our organization's sharepoint site. I think embedding reports is the only way a free user could utilize pro features, as it doesnt recognize a logged in user.

Just confirmed: When someone is trying to sign into power BI and access a "pro" dashboard within Power BI service, they do get error messages, whereas in embedded reports, they dont.

Super User
Super User

@tschmidt87 That would be the missing piece to your description, using "Publish to Web" is also a very big hole in company security if you are using it for private company information. I can't stress enough in this forum that this is "not" a use case for internal company data. Generating that URL exposes your company data externally, and can be found by anyone. Just because you embed it in a SharePoint site doesn't in any way shape or form make it secure. 

The Publish to Web documentation here has a giant warning box on top and the first sentence should have a user just stop immediately... "When you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet."

This feature shouldn't be used to get around licensing.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
tschmidt87 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Yes, i'm aware of the security concerns, although i don't see how anyone would "find" a published report without the unique identifier in the URL, in practice. I've tried numerous times to crawl/search for one of my published reports using various keywords and i haven't managed to find it..

vanessa Member

@Seth_C_Bauer

Is the gateway only available for Power BI pro ? 

Also, can I share reports/dashboards using PowerBI free?

Super User
Super User

@vanessa

Is the gateway only available for Power BI pro ? 

Nope, you can now use the gateways as a free user

Also, can I share reports/dashboards using PowerBI free?

No, there is no sharing any longer using the free license. (The one caveat is using "Publish to Web", but you wouldn't do this with company information. It is purely for public facing info)

smerchant Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@Seth_C_Bauer "...publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet..@ as long as someone has that long url correct? or these url data are searchable by the search engine?  Thanks 

Super User
Super User

@smerchant "Publish to Web" is not secure in that it relys on (Security by Obscurity). When taking company private information into account, this shouldn't be acceptable.

Easily found on Google, not yet that I know of. But it apparently isn't that hard to create something to go looking for publish to web URLs (spoke with my security team).