cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adrianbravo Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

which are the differences between power bi free and power bi pro?

I need to recomend which version are going to use within customer.

I would like to know what can i do in Power BI Pro that can not do in Power BI Free..

If you know some link i will appreciate.

Thank's.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ankitpatira Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: which are the differences between power bi free and power bi pro?

18 REPLIES 18
ankitpatira Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Super User
Super User

@adrianbravo Here is another page that outlines the Pro features. 

Personal experiance. There are very few organizations that I know of that would be happy with Free.

Some of the largest limitations are 1x refresh of data per day, no connections to on premises data sources via the gateways, and not being able to use Groups.

The free version is designed to wet your appetite and allow you to see how things work. If the company is ok with seeing a daily report, and you can work around the limitations - cool. But in my experiance that is a rarity.

edit: added link

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
tschmidt87 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Are you able to view reports (shared with you) as a free user, when they were created by a pro user (with all the features enabled that the pro user has, of course)

Super User
Super User

@tschmidt87 If the Pro user applies anything to the dataset/report/dashboard that falls under the "Pro" license, then all users of the shared content must have a Pro license as well.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Seth_C_Bauer strange, because im currently on a 60-day pro trial and i've created about 5 different dashboards which all have automatic refresh (which is a pro feature) and shared the dashboards with non-pro users. They can all view it. 

Am i missing something?

Super User
Super User

@tschmidt87 Can you elaborate on "Automatic Refresh" - is this data Online (OneDrive, SharePoint Online), or does this mean you are using direct query or live connection?

Frequent Visitor

@Seth_C_Bauer Im using a daily scheduled refresh wihtin PowerBI Service using a personal gateway via my PC. The data is a live connection to an internal MySQL db.

Super User
Super User

@tschmidt87 Interesting. Shouldn't work if the end users are purely on "free". If they have "Free with Pro Trial" - like you, I would expect it to.

Point of clarification. You aren't using a live connection. You are importing data. 
Live Connection refers to connecting to a SSAS cube or model and your data is always up to date.

Direct Query refers to connecting to a SQL Database - also always up to date

Import - You need to schedule a refresh because the data is static.

So if you scheduled a refresh, then you are importing data. In either case, you are using a personal gateway which requires a Pro license. So unless something changed, I would consider the fact that it works right now ... temporary.

Frequent Visitor

Thats the thing. It does work, using the database connection that i set up via Desktop. Every day at 10AM this is being updated using the MySQL credentials stored in the "Automatic Refresh" section on PowerBI Service. Sorry if i am not fluent with PowerBI-specific terminology, i'm relatively new to it.

As it stands, my organization could easily use PowerBI for free with simply one account being enabled for PRO features (me, for example). However, i can literally not find a single piece of information regarding this anywhere. I need to decide in the next weeks if my Organization can afford PowerBI (one or two Pro users) or not (hundreds of Pro users). 

I'm not too sure which decision to take simply because everything is fully functional for our users without having Pro (or a trial thereof). I guess i will give Support a call

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Find out what's new in the Power BI Community!

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 377 members 4,083 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: