Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TonyMo
Frequent Visitor

when I publish my desktop report, it doesn't update in Power BI Service

I have made some changes to the visualizations in my report and am trying to publish it back up to the server from Desktop.  It doesn't show the new changes and breaks many of the KPIs and visuals from the oder version that is up there.  This is causing issues with the report and the dashboards on Power BI Service.  I have tried to remove cookies from all of the different browsers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TonyMo
Frequent Visitor

Update: This weekend I tried to publish the latest version with the report changes and everything went through fine.  I am not sure what happened but for over a week, it would only accept the data set changes into Service when I published until just recently..  Happy that the issue seems to have resolved itself.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TonyMo
Frequent Visitor

Update: This weekend I tried to publish the latest version with the report changes and everything went through fine.  I am not sure what happened but for over a week, it would only accept the data set changes into Service when I published until just recently..  Happy that the issue seems to have resolved itself.

TonyMo
Frequent Visitor

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @TonyMo,

Do you create a new report with the same dataset of the report you have published to Power BI Service before, or you create a report with the same dataset and replace the old version in Power BI Service?

What data source do you use?

Could you describe your scenario in more details, so that I can analysis that which step may cause this issue?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-piga-msft, Hello Cherry.  I downloaded the current dataset from PBI Service, opened in Desktop, made some small changes to column names, updated all of my filter visuals and some report visuals.  Republished back up.  The republish took the column changes because I had to go in and update broken visuals and KPIs, just not the report piece.  It feels like from the .pbix, it is updating the data, just not the report piece.

bvenu2712
Helper I
Helper I

@TonyMo, this issue can't be guessed until we know the changes you made.

I would suggest you to make a copy of the existing report and try to publish it to the service with only one visual every time and check if that gives any error. Repeat this process till you get an error.

Thanks,

Venu Bolla

@bvenu2712, thanks for this suggestion.  I just downloaded a clean version from PBI Service, made one change to a Text visual and published back up.  It did not pick up the change but said it successfully published

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@TonyMo

I had this happen to me several months ago. My issue stemmed from the original "publish" being from the GET Data option to pull a pbix in from sharepoint. When I made changes to the pbix file, I simply hit publish (as technically changes had been made to the service after my original creation). Hitting republish would provide new data but would not update column names or measures. It was simply providing new data. 

My question to you would be how your originally published the file to the service. If you went through sharepoint, you may need to contact Microsoft to reset the connection on the back end or you could replace the original sharepoint file with your new modified version and see if the changes are picked up then. 

If, however, your original file was published using the publish button in Desktop, I do not have any advice on that other than to check and see if Sharepoint refresh has accidentally been enabled.

Good luck.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@bvenu2712, I feel this would take too long.  My report has over 12 pages and is tied to multiple dashboards.  It would be faster to rebuild every dashboard after deleting the original dataset and then republishing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors