Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bsheffer
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

what is the processing power of power bi pro service compared to power premium per user?

trying to understand what amount of performance improvement if any if we make the upgrade.  Suits gotta know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @bsheffer ,

According to my research, the PPU cannot manage the memory/CPU like with Premium.  But, I still believe that it uses a basic P1 capacity.  That answer is based on this:

Does this work like a Premium capacity? Can you turn features on/off?

No, there is no management of memory/CPU like with a Premium capacity.  Microsoft handles all of that for you just like we do with Power BI Pro today.  Your tenant admin can manage select feature settings (such as Auto-Refresh and the setting of the XMLA endpoint), but they can’t disable workloads like paginated reports, just like you can’t turn off dashboards today.  A new menu option in the tenant settings for Premium per user will be available to manage those settings at public preview.

From: Answering your questions around the new Power BI Premium per user license | Microsoft Power BI Blog ...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @bsheffer 

The link applies to both Premium and Premium Per User

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

To further what @collinq said here are more details on Power BI Gen2 which runs the Premium or Premium Per users Understanding Power BI Premium Gen2 (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

bsheffer
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

is ppu a p1 or p2 subscription?

Hi @bsheffer ,

I BELIEVE it is P1 but I am not positive about that.  When you have the PPU, you can go to the capacity and take a look....

Configure and manage capacities in Power BI Premium - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Proud to be a Datanaut!

bsheffer
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

when I go to capacity settings, it is blank except to ask me to buy premium capacity.  I'm not sure that ppu appears there.  there is an entry in the admin portal for PPU but it just shows this:

bsheffer_0-1625756529239.png

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @bsheffer ,

One of the benefits of Premium is the ability to have dedicated capacity.  When you are on PRO you are sharing with others.  There are data limits on the PRO model as well.  

Basically, if you want lots of refreshes during the day, have lots of data and want to know all about when things are running and have some more logging, you want Premium.

This article lays out the difference between the plans.

Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @bsheffer ,

According to my research, the PPU cannot manage the memory/CPU like with Premium.  But, I still believe that it uses a basic P1 capacity.  That answer is based on this:

Does this work like a Premium capacity? Can you turn features on/off?

No, there is no management of memory/CPU like with a Premium capacity.  Microsoft handles all of that for you just like we do with Power BI Pro today.  Your tenant admin can manage select feature settings (such as Auto-Refresh and the setting of the XMLA endpoint), but they can’t disable workloads like paginated reports, just like you can’t turn off dashboards today.  A new menu option in the tenant settings for Premium per user will be available to manage those settings at public preview.

From: Answering your questions around the new Power BI Premium per user license | Microsoft Power BI Blog ...

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors