Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

reynold522
Helper II
Helper II

what is the most efficient way to update table

We have a lot of IoT devices uploading data to cloud. 

There several tables

1. Tracking table(overview table): IoT ID, installation data, region, purpose etc.

2. Data table 1: IoT ID, Timestamp, data1, data2 etc. 

3. Data table 2: IoT ID, Timestamp, data1, data2 etc. 

4. DimDate

I linked  IoT ID of tracking table with all data tables and data from DimDate table with all toher data tables. 

My question?

previously, if IT department update one data table/tracking table e.g., add one or more columns, I usually delete old table and load the new table. however, I have to do relink and copy past all measures from old table.

I use directquery in my Power Bi Dashboard. is there any new method to update tables? minimize the effort to update?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Instead of connecting to the tables in your data source, create views and connect to these views.  That way you can shield Power Query from the table structure changes.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Instead of connecting to the tables in your data source, create views and connect to these views.  That way you can shield Power Query from the table structure changes.

Thank you very much. 

It is well known in snowflake to create view. 

as you talk about create view in power bi, is it via summerize function?

Usually you create these views in the Power Query source (the upstream system), likely a SQL Server database .  Power Query queries also act as a type of abstraction/view from the perspective of the Power BI data model.  in DAX you can create calculated tables via SELECTCOLUMNS or similar functions.

Thank you for help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors