Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ged Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: visual has exceeded available resources

Dear all

We were dealing with this issue a year and a half ago and it was an absolute pain. We had numerous conversations with the official Microsoft support at the time and, in all honesty, they couldnt help much except for advising us that the issue was our SQL Server (queriestaking more than 5 seconds...); limit the number of the visuals in a single report. In a nutshell, limit the amount of data to be fetched; make sure to put solid indexing. 

So:

1. Check the SQL query performance. End-result in Power BI depends on the performance of your backend. 

2. Further tune it with indexing. 

3. Consider having an SSAS solution of your data instead of taping on schema tables directly.

good luck. 

HansK Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Any  updates on this topic yet?

I'm having the strange thing that when I use publish to the web for my report I get the screenshot below as a result.
Only 1 out of 2 visuals is showing and the other one gives the exceeded memory error. Strangely both visuals (a table and a graph) use exactly the same data and filters (page level filters).

I had 2 years of logfiles and already filtered out 1 year with a report level filter but still keep having this issue.
The biggest DAX that I have is my own calendar table. Furthermore I have quite some Power Query steps.

Any suggestions on what to do?

screenshot report.png

bdmichael09 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@HansK 

I managed to get around my issue without really intending to. I was looking to improve the performance of my report and rewrote all of my DAX measures using variables. Even a measure as simple as just summing some column was written using a variable and returning the output. The performance of the dashboard was drastically improved and it resolved my issue with the exceeded memory error. SQLBI has a Date table publicly available that you can borrow if you have trouble rewriting your DAX for the table. It's actually a great date table. It has pretty much everything you could possibly want in a date table. Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 229 members 2,330 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: