cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgarciabu Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

visual has exceeded available resources

Hi All,

I've been using PowerBI for the better part of a year now. For the last month and a half or a little more, we've had annoying failures to refresh for 6 of our 14 tile visualizations. It's also inconsistent. Some days certain tiles of the 6 refresh and others they don't. The dashboard in question contains nothing more than 14 pinned single data point cards. They are simple queries made to our Azure SQL Database. On the database, all the queries run immediately with no delay. I have all my visualizations set to connect live to our Azure database. I'm at a loss for what to do. It seems like it's an issue with resources on Microsoft's servers. Here's the error I get:

Resources Exceeded

This visual has exceeded the available resources. Try filtering to decrease the amount of data displayed.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity IDc7b563f3-c93d-2aa1-2784-082b8d81f234
Request IDe4c3c75a-060f-6b40-8ab0-7ed194ba10c3
Correlation ID69832fcb-c121-4ed4-ca06-89d5275e48e2
TimeThu Jan 19 2017 11:09:24 GMT-0500 (EST)
Version13.0.1700.1003

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-ljerr-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: visual has exceeded available resources

Hi @jgarciabu,

Yes, the issue occurs when a visual has attempted to query too much data for the server to complete the result with the available resources.

As suggested in the error, you may need to try filtering the visual to reduce the amount of data in the result currently.Smiley Happy

Regards

32 REPLIES 32
v-ljerr-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @jgarciabu,

Yes, the issue occurs when a visual has attempted to query too much data for the server to complete the result with the available resources.

As suggested in the error, you may need to try filtering the visual to reduce the amount of data in the result currently.Smiley Happy

Regards

malagari Member

Is this a limitation in the Power BI Web Service?

I'm also working with a fairly large DAX calculation - it works fine on my Desktop environment, but fails to load as soon as it's published.

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring
CahabaData New Contributor
New Contributor

as I understand the reply from Microsoft - it is the size of the record set.  Not the dax or visuals per se.  So i.e.  instead of trying to pull in X years of data - segment that / filter to a smaller data set.

but what is not said is how much is too much.... that would be worthy of note.....

www.CahabaData.com
malagari Member

There are definitely some limitations in regards to in-memory analysis as well.  I imagine that Power BI is running Azure Analysis Services behind the scenes and that a certain amount is allocated to each user.

My tabular dataset isn't huge.  I've seen this when I'm doing a significant number of date filters in a DAX measurement to create a date-dynamic measurement for historical trends.  It takes a good chunk of my RAM locally when running, but completely borks when it's published.

I guess the next step would be to set up my own SSAS for my tabular model, rather than relying on Power BI's.

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring
New Contributor

interesting to hear.  in your comparison - how much RAM locally is it taking a good chunk of??  are you up in the 32G area on a server or more?

www.CahabaData.com
Highlighted
malagari Member

I'm able to run some of the measurements without issues on my 12GB RAM Windows VM, but it doesn't cooperate when I have multiple card visuals with different measurements on the same report page.  On my desktop, I have 32GB of RAM and I'm able to render everything properly.

The "big" DAX calculation can take upwards of 18GB of RAM when making the date comparisons.  It really only gets bad on my desktop when I have more than one visual doing a fairly large calculation against a table of ~40K rows.

It's at the point where I'm investigating if OLAP Cubes would help improve the performance of my historical data (again, offloading the strenuous calculations to an SSAS instance).

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring
New Contributor

interesting - thanks for sharing... 

www.CahabaData.com
corbusier Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I don't think this issue is solved. What are the actual limits, and are they the same for all visuals? I'm having this issue with a simple date filter which is querying a view that has only a few thousand rows. We barely have 1.5 years of data, this is pathetic. 

sonalivt Visitor
Visitor

Hi, I am too facing this issue. I have created my report using direct query in Azure SQL Database. My table has about 445 rows and a measure with sum of all values. Even though it is showing "Visual has exceeded avaliable resources". 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

We spoke with Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, about his charity work

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 279 members 2,733 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: