Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

UOLandrewdale
Advocate II
Advocate II

usage metrics not working for office 365 team

In the Power BI service I can view the usage metrics for a report when the report is in "My workspace" or in a workspace that was created as an Office 365 Group.

We have now started to roll out Office 365 Teams, and when I publish a report to this (several weeks ago) the Usage Metrics report is blank for usage (views per day, and unique views per day etc) and just shows a single value in "Total Reports in Organization" that agrees with the value on the Usage Metrics report in the other worspaces.

We have not tried "app workspaces" yet.

Is there a setting somewhere to switch on to capture usage metrics for content creators for teams? I have only read about switching it on for the tenancy.

15 REPLIES 15
ronen_solidbi

Usage metrics are not updating since sep-20 (2018 )

is it a known ussue?

I have seen many post from dufferent dates others has writen.

Any workarrounds?

10x!!!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@UOLandrewdale,

Do you embed the Usage Metrics Report in Microsoft Teams? If so, I am unable to reproduce your issue, the Usage Metrics Report in Teams displays as same as  that in Power BI Service.

Have you tried to create Usage Matrics report for dashboard and checked the result?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia

I don't have a dashboard on the particular report I have in my team's Power BI App Workspace. I'll create one on another team group I have just set up and see if that has the same issues.

I have done a "save a copy" of the usage metrics report into the team workspace in the Power BI service and neither it nor the report's Usgae Metrics button show any usage data, just the value for "Total Reports in Organization". this has been running for several weeks so should be collecting usahe stats by now.

regards

Andrew

@UOLandrewdale

You have no issues viewing the usage metrics report in Power BI Service, but you get blank values for some visuals in Microsoft Team, right? If so, it is more likely a Microsoft Team issue.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Not sure your terminology is correct. I am looking in the Power BI Service.

Where a Power BI Service Workspace is associated with an Office 365 Group, then I can click on any report and click its usage metrics icon and the report that displays shows sensible values.

Where a Power BI Service Workspace is associated with an Office 365 Team, then I can click on any report and click its usage metrics icon and the report that displays has (BLANK) for all values except for "Total Reports in Organization" which shows the same value as on the reports in the other workspaces.

@UOLandrewdale,

What do you mean "Power BI Service Workspace is associated with an Office 365 Team"? Do you embed the usage metrics reports  to Microsoft Team?

Regards,

Lydia

When you publish a Power BI Desktop file to the Power BI service, the data in the model and any reports you created in Report view are published to your Power BI workspace.  (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-upload-desktop-files)

That workspace has be be either your own My workspace, an Office 365 group, an Office 365 Team, or an App workspace. When I publish to a workspace that is a group, the the metrics report works fine. when I publish to a worspace that is a team, then I get the problem I describe.

we are NOT embeding the report in a tab in the team space such as is done in this video

https://guyinacube.com/2016/11/microsoft-teams-power-bi-minute-monday/

@UOLandrewdale,

Could you please describe more details about that "publish Power BI Desktop file to a workspace that is an Office 365 Team"? Do you choose the destination workspace in Power BI Desktop when publishing or you have extra operations?

Regards,
Lydia

don't worry, we have raise a premium support call

@UOLandrewdale,

OK. When the issue is solved, please post the solution in this forum.

By the way, I am still curious about that  "Publish PBIX file to a workspace that is an Office 365 Team". Smiley Happy

Regards,
Lydia

in Power BI Desktop client, you select PUBLISH and then choose a workspace.

@UOLandrewdale,

Thanks for your reply. I know that how to publish PBIX file in Power BI Desktop. I want to know that how you define a Office 365 team type workspace in Power BI Service. Do you directly create app workspace using the option below? But there is no option to choose workspace type that represents Office 365 team, right?

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

the teams and groups are created in Office 365 by our administrators, they then show up in Power BI Service as workspaces. Microsoft is supposed to be implementing new functionality on that button you have highlighted so that it is a cut down version of the group/team functionality.

As it turns out it is not a team/group/workspace issue, it looks like it depends on when the report was published. I published a new report to one of our old groups and that does not get usage metrics. Also new dashboards do get  usage metrics, its just new reports that don't.

There was an upgrade to the Power BI service usage metrics functionality in august 2017 - see https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-per-user-usage-metrics-know-your-audience-and-a...

have also found lots of other community forum posts with the same problem

One person has had this response from microsoft support

• CRI 52229904. The latest update is:
  •  The issue is due to SQL Timeout in our North Europe cluster. We have checked in the change to extend the timeout and once the change is validated and tested, customer should begin to see the usage to show up in UM report.

issue is now showing on the PBI service status webpage

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

PBISERVICESTATUS.PNG

Capture.PNG

Wow, this issue is still not solved!

I published my workspace to an app, people are viewing the report through the app, as they are no members of the workspace, and most of the views are not captured in the usage metrics report, but very few are. It's really strange. I guess will add everyone to the workspace in hope I'll capture usage metrics by letting people access reports through the workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors