Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hxkresl
Helper V
Helper V

unable to create group workspace - who do i reach out to

the solution to another post by same title is

"The group creation in Power BI is now controlled by the group creation in Exchange Online.  Please check if your 0365 group creation option is disabled.  

Where do I go to check if my 0365 group creation option is disabled?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @hxkresl

I would recommend starting with your Systems Administrator for your Organization, as I am sure that they will be able to then find out the Office 365 Administrator.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

@GilbertQ -  a smal correction. App workspaces still create group workspaces behind the scenes today.

We have an item on the roadmap to remove the dependency (that is what the post says as well). 

As for the above error, it is because the tenant admin has prevented creation of groups (which are needed for app workspaces today). You need to work with them to remove that restriction. 

Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @hxkresl

Do you have an image of the error you are getting?

With the new Apps experience if you create a new App Workspace, this does not rely on Office 365 Exchange Groups any more.

This is where you can find the Apps on the left hand side in the Power BI Service.

power-bi-apps-home-360

And here are details around what apps are, and a very good video from Adam Saxton

What are apps in Power BI?

And finally here is the original Blog post around Apps

Distribute to large audiences with Power BI apps

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ Thanks for the link.  Directions say before I can create an app I must first create a workspace. This is the error I am getting when I try 

Capture.PNG 

Hi @hxkresl

From that rather cryptic error I am going to assume that for some reason it is still using the Office 365 Groups, and the Group creation for Office 365 has been disabled.

Are you possibly able to validate with your Office 365 Admin if the Group Creation has been disabled?

I know on my own tenant it is working as expected.

Power BI Blog

I don't know how to go about validating with my Office 365 Admin if the Group Creation has been disabled.  How do I find out who the admin is? 

Hi @hxkresl

I would recommend starting with your Systems Administrator for your Organization, as I am sure that they will be able to then find out the Office 365 Administrator.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ -  a smal correction. App workspaces still create group workspaces behind the scenes today.

We have an item on the roadmap to remove the dependency (that is what the post says as well). 

As for the above error, it is because the tenant admin has prevented creation of groups (which are needed for app workspaces today). You need to work with them to remove that restriction. 

Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.

Thanks @Ajay for the correction, I did indeed misread the original post.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors