Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MP_123
Employee
Employee

transfer reports\dashboards\datasets between pro users

hi,

i am owner of several reports which are shared by dashboard to other colleagues.

i want to transfer my report to my team member (so she can publish it to her workspace) and also to keep the report link as it now.

is it possible? with whom i can talk to in order to do this action?

thanks a lot

8 REPLIES 8
RichC
Frequent Visitor

This is a show stopper !

Creating groups allows for others to work the reports but;

Transfer ownership is needed in case the report creator leaves the company otherwise the reports/dashboards disappear when their email account is closed.      Is this still correct?

@v-qiuyu-msft

I think that we can add DL\SG to the access of the workspace is a show stopper.

thanks

RichC
Frequent Visitor

Thanks    but not sure of answer

"I think that we can add DL\SG to the access of the workspace is a show stopper"  

Are you saying you can fix  or it's still a show stopper?

Time frame for solution = ?

I'm on hold for Power BI until solution / checking Qlik Sense as a reporting solutions.

Thanks again.

This thread seems to have a bunch of different questions. I will try and answer them as best as I can.

@MP_123 - Reg. Transferring reports/dashboards/datasets between pro users.

Few things here:

1. If you want one of your collegues to co-author these reports with you, you should add her as a member/admin of the group workspace where the dashboard is present. You cannot add security groups or DGs as members/admins of group workspaces yet.
  2. If you want one of your collegues as just a consumer, you should share the dashboard with them - you can share with individual users or Security groups or DGs.
  3. If you want to copy a report from one workspace to another, it would be best if you use the underlying PBIX file generated from PBI desktop and upload it to a different workspace.

@MP_123 - WHy do you want the report to have the same ID? Can you give me the example of the use case you are trying to solve? That will help me give you a better solution.

@RichC - If the reports/dashboards are in a group workspace with multiple usres, then no. Even if the original user leaves the organization, the reports/dashboards are not removed. The other members/admins of the group workspace still have all permissions on these assets and can edit them.

@v-qiuyu-msft - I would advise against using content packs to copy between workspaces. It has some side effects over time...

As a side note, we are planning on building functionality to copy between workspaces. I do not yet have a concrete timeline on when we will be able to do it though.

Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.

Has there been any traction on moving the workspaces? We are faced with a migration of O365 tenant and need to get all the reports and gateways etc migrated.

RichC
Frequent Visitor

The report group I work in has three report generators; over 70 reports with about 8 pages each ; and distribute to over 400 users. We need to be able to back-up [update report for those on vacation] each other and transfer ownership as people leave and new people come into the group. We don't have time reun each report through some PPBIX file generator and fix all the "features" this entails; and then tell the 400 users to change there bookbarks to some new location. 

Is this software to complicated to have option to enter current owner email address & password then enter new owner email address, that will be new owner ?    

Still a show stopper for our reporting, on hold - please advise

Will continue with Qlik solution evaluation

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MP_123,

Do you have any special requirement to have the same report URL both in your workspace and your team member? To share report with others, we can download the report from the Power BI service  then publish it to other user's workspace. Or you can create a content pack contains the report and dataset, publish to the group or organization. But please note, as the same reports display in different user's workspace, the report ID is different, so we cann't keep the same report URL after you share report with other users.

Reference:
How should I share dashboards, reports, and tiles?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft

hi, thanks!

this is my exact problem, i want the report will have the same Id.

how do i publish my report to conetent pack which my collegue can upload there too?

how can i create this content pack?

thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors