Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

total storage space for users and workgroups

PRO users today have got 2 limits: 1GB per dataset, and 10GB total for personal use. (am I right?)
so, lets imagine this scenario:

lets say, in my company there are 20 workgroups from 20 different areas.

each of this workgroups has a dataset of 0,9GB, perfectly inside the limit of 1GB per dataset.

if the CEO wants to see all workgroups, with all datasets summing 18GB, will he be able to view and handle all this reports and datasets?
will this datasets copy inside his personal 10GB limit?

does it make a difference if the CEO is added to the workgroups with permission to edit or view only?

is there a limit of created workgroups?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous The 1GB limit only relates to the size of the PBIX file that can be uploaded to the Service. The 10GB is per workspace. It is content specific. What I mean by that is your CEO as a user could be connected to every single workspace without issue. Each workspace is only capable of containing 10GB worth of "stuff", but he could have access to 100's of GB worth of content spread across all the workspaces... - hopefully that makes sense.

And there is no limit that I'm aware of for workspaces.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Anonymous The 1GB limit only relates to the size of the PBIX file that can be uploaded to the Service. The 10GB is per workspace. It is content specific. What I mean by that is your CEO as a user could be connected to every single workspace without issue. Each workspace is only capable of containing 10GB worth of "stuff", but he could have access to 100's of GB worth of content spread across all the workspaces... - hopefully that makes sense.

And there is no limit that I'm aware of for workspaces.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for your reply. this answer is exactly what I was expecting.
but is there a test that I can perform do validate this info?
is there an official link from Power BI site to validate this statement?

@Anonymous ... Well, here is the storage article where the 1GB for dataset published and the 10GB for "Each" workspace is explained. I don't really know what test you need... if you already have multipe workspaces, you know they each have 10GB, or that the data isn't being combined. And you can add a user to multiple workspaces and you can validate that the space usage in your workspace isn't increasing... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

once again thanks for all your info Eno1978.
I tested here and I was able to create 42 workgroups.

I tested some datasets and I see they do not impact on each other. Each workgroup contains 10GB individually.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors