Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

honza1118
Frequent Visitor

timeout information needed

Hello, 

I could not find information about timeout command. In Power BI desktop I set up timeout command for MSSQL server query for 2 minutes. When refreshed in Service (scheduled refresh) it is fine for most runs, but sometimes it fails on timeout. In refresh history I can see refresh start time and refresh end time and for fails it is alsway 1minute and 3sec. difference .... not 2 minutes. Also what is wierd is that some succesfull refreshes took longer time than those which failed. 

So my questions are 1) can we relly on refresh start and end time information which power BI tells us?

2) when does timeout starts to countdown? Is there any kind of documentation about this? 

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@honza1118 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@honza1118 I believe refresh timeout defaults are either 30 or 60 minutes... I wouldn't recommend over riding the timeout to such a small window.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hello, 

thank you for your answer. I could change the timeout from 2minutes to higher number, but i am not really sure why a refresh of few thousand rows shoud take more than 2 minutes. That is why I would like to know what is exactly happening during the resfresh. Is the timeout set up for whole refresh or only pulling the data from the MS SQL data source? Is there somewhere a documentation for the refresh where I could learn how does it work? 

I dont want the refresh to block my datasource for other processes running there. 

Thank you 

@honza1118 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors