Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

Re: this visual contains restricted data

Hey Mohammadr,

I saw this error today, and it was caused by Row Level Security rules on the powerBI file. Did you check that your file does not have ANY RLS rules applied to it? If it has any, than all users with "viewer" permissions will not be able to see any of the data by default.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: this visual contains restricted data

Just in case this still helps someone,

I too got the same error (this visual contains restricted data) for all visuals. For me the problem was that all the RLS roles that I had defined a long time ago for completely different reports, were kind of copied to this new report. I'm calling them ghost roles, since there were no attached rules whatsoever, so they should not have had any impact.

Previously I've published many different reports, which were no different from this one and which worked fine so far. The one difference with this report however is that while normally I only use a MySQL database as a source, this time I had added a new on-premises source (a folder containing (subfolders containing) .XML files). This folder was added to the gateway and my guess is that this somehow interfered with the RLS roles, even though they were empty.

The solution was a simple one though, just delete all the roles in Power BI Desktop and republish.

Cheers,

Niels

Helpful resources

Announcements

August Community Highlights

Check out a full recap of the month!

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors