Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

this visual contains restricted data

Hey guys & gals,

I've been experiencing some issues sharing an app with one of my colleagues today. He has access to the app, and is able to view it, but all the content is missing behind errors. Now I recognized this as "this person is not a member of the workspace", it looks very similar to that. But even after adding him to the group as a member, he still sees this error.

error.jpg

I have admin access to the workspace, but I'm at a loss to figure out how to make sure this person has access. Is anyone familiar with this problem? When I searched for this exact error message, literally nothing came up, which seems very strange...

Thanks for thinking along,

Jaap

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Re: this visual contains restricted data

Hi @Jaap_Olsthoorn,

Please go through the below screenshot, will help you. Let me know if any issue.

Thanks

Visual Restriction Error.jpg

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

The user is added there through a group membership. I checked, and the user is part of that group. Other users in that group CAN use the reports.

Thanks for thinking along though!

Jaap

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue with an app I published to a group.

Have you found any solution to this?

Br,

T

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Unfortunately not 😞 I'm kind of hoping that the new version of PowerBI Workspaces might end up helping in this regard.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jaap_Olsthoorn,

I managed to fix it - I think.

It had something to do with the kinds of groups I shared it with. Some had this errror and others didn't. On-premise AD groups had this error but Azure AD groups didn't

Br,

T

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Hmm that sounds like it could work out to be a solution in the end. Do you know if it's possible to switch from 1 account type to another? Or how I can recognise which account type that e-mail is?

Thanks!

Jaap

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jaap_Olsthoorn,

Unfortunately I don't know...

I discovered this on accident because I had shared my report with both types of groups and one group saw it and the other one didn't. My colleague manually added / created a new group to the users from that didn't work and now everything works fine for now.

Hope you figure it out!

Br,

T

Highlighted

I've have had the same issue...

For me the solution was to go to the RLS (Row-Level Security) settings (in the online version) on the datasets via the three "..."

In the RLSview you'll have to choose every single person you've shared the data with and enter their e-mail once again, and press "Add" and then "Save" in the buttom.

I hope this is useful for others - I've spend hours seaching for the solution...

Best

Janus

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi ,

I am facing the same issue. I have removed all the RLS which was there earlier and also enabled the access as mentioned in your screenshot for users. Even after that i am getting the same error saying we do not have access to view the backend data.

Do you have any other solution for this issue?

Thanks,

Ganesan k.

Helpful resources

Announcements
June 2020 Community Highlights

June 2020 Community Highlights

Featured community members, changes to the Community, and more! Read up on recent Power BI community news.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors