Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

this visual contains restricted data

Hey guys & gals,

I've been experiencing some issues sharing an app with one of my colleagues today. He has access to the app, and is able to view it, but all the content is missing behind errors. Now I recognized this as "this person is not a member of the workspace", it looks very similar to that. But even after adding him to the group as a member, he still sees this error.

error.jpg

I have admin access to the workspace, but I'm at a loss to figure out how to make sure this person has access. Is anyone familiar with this problem? When I searched for this exact error message, literally nothing came up, which seems very strange...

Thanks for thinking along,

Jaap

21 REPLIES 21
C4YNelis
Advocate II
Advocate II

Just in case this still helps someone,

I too got the same error (this visual contains restricted data) for all visuals. For me the problem was that all the RLS roles that I had defined a long time ago for completely different reports, were kind of copied to this new report. I'm calling them ghost roles, since there were no attached rules whatsoever, so they should not have had any impact.

Previously I've published many different reports, which were no different from this one and which worked fine so far. The one difference with this report however is that while normally I only use a MySQL database as a source, this time I had added a new on-premises source (a folder containing (subfolders containing) .XML files). This folder was added to the gateway and my guess is that this somehow interfered with the RLS roles, even though they were empty.

The solution was a simple one though, just delete all the roles in Power BI Desktop and republish.

Cheers,

Niels

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous , I am also facing the same issue. did you fix the issue? if yes pls guide me how to fix the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Mohammadr,

I saw this error today, and it was caused by Row Level Security rules on the powerBI file. Did you check that your file does not have ANY RLS rules applied to it? If it has any, than all users with "viewer" permissions will not be able to see any of the data by default.

Doby42
Frequent Visitor

nothing fixed it till I deleted the user out of "managed roles" from the "Managed Roles" within the power bi Desktop app.  after that I replublished and it worked.  Adding a user to RLS within the web under datasets got rid of the error but no data would show for the user.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

I am facing the same issue. I have removed all the RLS which was there earlier and also enabled the access as mentioned in your screenshot for users. Even after that i am getting the same error saying we do not have access to view the backend data.

Do you have any other solution for this issue?

Thanks,

Ganesan k.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the exact same thing as you -- removed RLS from a report that used to have it -- and now I'm also getting the error "This visual contains restricted data"

I tried removing the report from the app, publishing, adding it back again, and republishing, but to no avail.

Posting to subscribe to this thread in case anyone figures out a fix!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please click on the Datasets tab present in the power bi service along with that report. Check the security tab whether it has any RLS still showing. It has to show the below message if there is no RLS. Also specify the access level set for your role if you are member to that workspace.

RLS_Screenshot.jpg

Thanks,

Ganesan k.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried changing the export data settings, but no luck! 😞

I can confirm the Power BI service shows the informational message about RLS when I view the dataset's security, which I can only imagine means there is no RLS detected in the report.

One strange thing I noticed is that even after I uncheck "Included in App" for the report and republish the app, the report and source dataset still appear in the app. I'm not sure if that's related.

Unless someone has a better idea, I'm thinking the only course of action is to delete the report entirely and re-upload.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a thought, Could you please check the manage permissions tab in the dataset and the same user has access to Read and reshare the datasets? If the user do not listed in the datasets permissions tab, he could not see the data.

Thanks,

Ganesan k.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of our users don't have pro licenses, so they're not members of the workspace. Even I get the restricted data error if I try to view the report through the app, and I'm an owner of the group!

Hi arthurholtz and Ganesan K.

I had this same problem today and I think I found a fix. In the workspace (online version of PowerBI, not the desktop) click the settings icon under "actions" on your Report. Then under "Export Data" select "Summarized Data" or "None" to replace the default "Summarized data and underlying data". The users with permissions should now be able to see the report visuals.

Hope this helps.

Ciaran

JanusPedersen

I've have had the same issue...

For me the solution was to go to the RLS (Row-Level Security) settings (in the online version) on the datasets via the three "..."

In the RLSview you'll have to choose every single person you've shared the data with and enter their e-mail once again, and press "Add" and then "Save" in the buttom.

I hope this is useful for others - I've spend hours seaching for the solution...

Best

Janus

@JanusPedersen wrote:

I've have had the same issue...

For me the solution was to go to the RLS (Row-Level Security) settings (in the online version) on the datasets via the three "..."

In the RLSview you'll have to choose every single person you've shared the data with and enter their e-mail once again, and press "Add" and then "Save" in the buttom.

I hope this is useful for others - I've spend hours seaching for the solution...

Best

Janus

This actually worked for myself. I just added the user for which there were problems to all possible groups. Seems like overkill though.

Hi Folks,

I'm using Report Server (rarely use the cloud).  Had the same issue with the "Visual contains...yadda..."

Discovered that if I removed the Role I had setup in the IDE for testing, it worked fine once published.

Figured I'd share in case it helps anyone else.

Microsoft figured otherwise.  Took me a while to get logged in here again.  /sigh

Dave

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue with an app I published to a group.

Have you found any solution to this?

Br,

T

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately not 😞 I'm kind of hoping that the new version of PowerBI Workspaces might end up helping in this regard.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous,

I managed to fix it - I think.

It had something to do with the kinds of groups I shared it with. Some had this errror and others didn't. On-premise AD groups had this error but Azure AD groups didn't

Br,

T

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm that sounds like it could work out to be a solution in the end. Do you know if it's possible to switch from 1 account type to another? Or how I can recognise which account type that e-mail is?

Thanks!

Jaap

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous,

Unfortunately I don't know...

I discovered this on accident because I had shared my report with both types of groups and one group saw it and the other one didn't. My colleague manually added / created a new group to the users from that didn't work and now everything works fine for now.

Hope you figure it out!

Br,

T

zlokesh
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Anonymous,

Please go through the below screenshot, will help you. Let me know if any issue.

Thanks

Visual Restriction Error.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors