Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rayudu
Regular Visitor

there was a data source access error. please contact the gateway administrator

I have create ssas tabular model and created a few reports in power bi desktop after installing power bi enterprise gateway and published power bi desktop reports to power bi services. and i have create a new data source for tabular data model by using data source type as analysis services.I was succussully completed the things upto here.

But i tried to access the data source i facing the big problem .So,kindly provide the why im not able to access the data source.

Please find the attaced screen shoots for more information.Power bi 1.png

power bi 3.png

power bi 2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rayudu,

Firstly ensure that your SSAS server and gateway are installed in a same domain or trusted domains.

Secondly, in Power BI,  the effective username is passed to the gateway and then onto your on-premises Analysis Services server each time a user interacts a report connected to Analysis Services. The email address that you use to sign in Power BI with is passed to Analysis Services as the effective user. This email address should match a defined UPN within the local Active Directory Domain, if a match cannot be found, you will get errors.

You can use the following command from your workstation to find out the UPN for your account, if the UPN doesn't match the email address you sign into Power BI with, you can use “Map user names” feature to solve this issue.  Assume that you if you sign into Power BI with account@thoughtfocus.com, but your local directory UPN is account@thoughtfocus.local, you can configure a mapping rule to have account@thoughtfocus.local passed to Analysis Services. For more details, please review this article.

whoami /upn

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
manito969
Frequent Visitor

my upn ( what i got it with the cmd) is the equal my email to sign in in power bi but local domain in which it is the ssas(DOMAIN\username) is different than domain (username@domain), so i think that my error is generated for this, it is posible?

Hello.

Someone has connected this use case with stand alone servers that do not have UPN. more specifically, the published reports with analysis service on stand alone servers that do not have UPN work as user DOMAIN / USER

I'm going to try removing the DLLs and re-registering them but if someone can confirm that the architecture works, I would be grateful

mdaamirkhan
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

I am getting same error below can you please help me

Any update ?

i encounterred same error after upgraded on-promises data gateway. i am using SQL 2016 standard edition. any update? Thanks

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rayudu,

Firstly ensure that your SSAS server and gateway are installed in a same domain or trusted domains.

Secondly, in Power BI,  the effective username is passed to the gateway and then onto your on-premises Analysis Services server each time a user interacts a report connected to Analysis Services. The email address that you use to sign in Power BI with is passed to Analysis Services as the effective user. This email address should match a defined UPN within the local Active Directory Domain, if a match cannot be found, you will get errors.

You can use the following command from your workstation to find out the UPN for your account, if the UPN doesn't match the email address you sign into Power BI with, you can use “Map user names” feature to solve this issue.  Assume that you if you sign into Power BI with account@thoughtfocus.com, but your local directory UPN is account@thoughtfocus.local, you can configure a mapping rule to have account@thoughtfocus.local passed to Analysis Services. For more details, please review this article.

whoami /upn

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I was also facing the same issue

Please  export the error log  by running enterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe   which locates under  C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway  by default ,

Then check gateway log to find the details first.

Its not related with domain fisrt read carefully what I wrote. If you dont know the answer then dont give other answer which is not related with this.

If the data is huge in the cube then when you try to live connect to cube and click ok nothing will show in Field section I kept 24 hours like that but nothing came. Live connect works properly on samll amount of data in the cube.

After reviwed the gatewayXXX.log  and  found   following error message

GatewayPipelineErrorCode=DM_GWPipeline_UnknownError
ProviderName=MSOLAP.5 --->
Inner exception chain: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
<pi>System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory
 for component with CLSID {308FF259-8671-4DF4-B66C-9851BFACF446} failed due to the following error: 80040154
 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

I finally get the issue solved by unregister 32 bit msolap110.dll and 64 bit msolap130.dll using following command

regsvr32 -u "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\110\msolap110.dll"

regsvr32 -u "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\130\msolap130.dll"

and then reregister 64 bit msolap130.dll using command

Regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\130\msolap130.dll"

wish it is helpfule

Thanks Jennyy,

I had upgraded the gateway as well and few days after that, this error started.

Was able to fix it with your instructions.

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors