Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

taking forever to publish a report from Power BI Desktop

taking forever to publish a report from PBI desktop to a group workspace. No error just taking forever. Sometime you might publish it in 10 minutes. Other times forever. It is in direct connect mode so the file size is only 700kb. And for the same report I can publish it to my own work space in 5 seconds. One difference I can think of is that the report in trouble could be used by users at the time. Is it possible that users using the report can block it from being published? Any other factors should be considered?

And any remediation action can be used. I meant if the locking is the issue, for a local box I can reboot the box. But apparently I can not reboot powerbi.com :-).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous in power bi service you can't kill processes. i would suggest you republish report as different name and then use pin live page as dashboard saving you rework for dashboard but obviously it depends on your requirement of dashboard. You can also try remove access to people you've shared report with meaning none of your users will be accessing it and then publish from desktop and see if that speeds up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
WillDrotar
Frequent Visitor

The solution of removing the old one and re-publishing as a new report didn't work for me. Still taking forever to upload, used to take seconds. 

Also not a valid solution if you've shared or used that URL elsewhere (would require re-sharing or changing bookmarks/code each time). 

EDIT: It did work after a long wait, it seems like the PBI service is running slow at times this week. 

Roseventura
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

So are you saying that if you inadvertently Publish a Report (.pbix) and click CANCEL, then that report can never again be published unless you rename it???

Also, what happens on the Service end?  Does it just loop forever, trying to Publish?

I had this similar issue come up, but I removed the report from the Service BEFORE trying to Publish it again.  Then I renamed the file, tried Publishing it under the new name (keeping in mind that the original .pbix no longer exists on the Service end) and it STILL went into never-neverland.

I'm still waiting...

Rose

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Roseventura,

I had same issue, what I did is after changing the report name I have refreshed the report and published it. All done smoothly

Thanks @ankitpatira

HI There,

Today 15-01-2017 we faced with this problem.

On the web the refresh now option apparently starts the process but on reality doesn't perform the refresh.

On power bi Desktop side, when publishing to the web an existing dataset takes forever and never concludes the process.

When we go back to the power bi web is possible to see the dataset turned grey.

Does anyone submited this issue to power bi support ?

thanks

cheers

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous I am guessing you already have a report published originally and you're republishing it which is causing delay. To know for fact that report is being used by other users and so it is causing delay, i would suggest you rename pbix file and then publish and see if it happens quickly. also when you publish report do you see asterik mark appearing next to report and dataset in power bi service ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ankitpatira Yes. I am overwriting an existing report. I can rename the file and publish it in 5 seconds to the group workspace. I can publish the report to my own workspace. So there is definitely a file sharing/blocking issue here. 

I think I can always remove the existing report and republish. But that means I will have to rebuild the dashboard that were built on the existing report. On production, this is NOT an option. Is there any admin screen where I can kill open sessions.

@Anonymous in power bi service you can't kill processes. i would suggest you republish report as different name and then use pin live page as dashboard saving you rework for dashboard but obviously it depends on your requirement of dashboard. You can also try remove access to people you've shared report with meaning none of your users will be accessing it and then publish from desktop and see if that speeds up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors