Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

standardized dashboard control with different user's data

We have a dashboard with fixed format in our gorup or organization, and I will load personal excel data file to update the dashboard with power BI desktop in computer. My colleage also do the same process, but load the same format excel with different data content.

We hope to set some acess contorl feature or adjust the process to avoid the user can share the pbix file with others. We could keep the control the dashboard knowhow and user just load their data to update dashboard.

Also it is ok for us to buy some licenses.

Are there any suggestions with the process be set up?

I suppose the scenario would be 

(1) The dashboard be controled by group owner, so just the one could adjust the domention or content..etc

(2) Colleges could load their excel data with standardizedformat to update the dashboard and then share with other user (internal or external).  => There will be many dashboards with different data but same dashboard format.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create a template app.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-template-apps-create 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-dashboards 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @V-lianl-msft ,

Thanks for your kindly reply, it's userful for me.

I have built a template app, and my college installed it. But my college couldn't connect new data source (xlsx format) from his computer. There was showed a error message about  "on-premises data gateway restriction". 

To connect data from personal computer with xlsx format would be a normal scenario in our organization. Are there any solution for this restriction?

Thanks.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry to ignore some of the information you provided earlier.

You need to use query parameters and store Excel files in SharePoint. If this does not match your actual scenario, could template applications in desktop be used as an alternative?

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @V-lianl-msft ,

I tried to connect the excile file at sahrepoint  and set  lurl link of this file as a parameter, it worked in desktop.

Then I published a template app and installed it.

When I tried to connect new data source from sharepoint ,it showed me an error message "the parameter can't be applied." But the parameter I inputed was the same information with orginal setting value.

Would you have any idea of this error?

Thanks.

Abbie

Hi @Anonymous ,

Refer to this thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Template-application-does-not-allow-me-to-modify-the-parameters/td-p/1082936 

Best Regards,
Liang

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @V-lianl-msft ,

Thanks for your kindly support.

The parameter setting could work.

But even I put the excel file on our organization's sharepoint, and let the template app to connect the new data source, it still showed the error message refer to the below picture 2.

Abbie_2-1603423985974.png

Abbie_1-1603423723500.png

Abbie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @V-lianl-msft ,

We would like to protect the desktop file (pbxi) in order to avoid the file be downloaded and shared. I suppose the template app solution would be more suitable for us.

Is sharepoint the only way for us to connect personal excel file?

Abbie

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors