Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

frano72
Helper IV
Helper IV

sharing dataflows - only via member/contributor permission ?

Hi, I've been following the best practice guidance of separating ingestion from transformation for dataflows.

So i'm ready to share the dataflow to business users and keep with the "data reuse" theme of dataflows.

Do you think i coudl find any guidance on how to actually do this ?

This article shows how to connect to it from Desktop but doesn't cover the precedent step of how you were provisioned access.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-connect-dataflows

From my testing, it seems you need to provide people Contributor/Member/Admin to the workspace with the dataflow.  If you choose the lowest permission Contributor - then they can't edit the dataflow BUT they can take over ownership and change the scheduling !  Not Good.

I just want people to be able to connect to the dataflow.

Have I missed anything ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

To access a dataflow you indeed need at least Contributor rights to the workspace.

I just tested this: With the Viewer role you do have access to the dataflow in Power BI Desktop, but you can't see the dataflow in the workspace.

In my opinion you can't edit a dataflow unless you created it yourself. That has to do with the access to the Data Lake folders that have been created:

image.png

Did this help you or did I answer your question?
Then please give kudos or mark my post as a solution!
My blog: nickyvv.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

To access a dataflow you indeed need at least Contributor rights to the workspace.

I just tested this: With the Viewer role you do have access to the dataflow in Power BI Desktop, but you can't see the dataflow in the workspace.

In my opinion you can't edit a dataflow unless you created it yourself. That has to do with the access to the Data Lake folders that have been created:

image.png

Did this help you or did I answer your question?
Then please give kudos or mark my post as a solution!
My blog: nickyvv.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Thanks Nicky !

Not sure what i did wrong in my initial testing, but did it again and it was as you say.

Viewer gives them rights to connect to dataflows from Power BI Desktop.

Perfect - exactly what I wanted cleared up.

I still think its a bit strange that I couldn't find any MS arcticles or guidance that specifically covers this pont of how to provide access to dataflows !  Maybe it was meant to be really obvious and no guidance was needed !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors