Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dnaman
Helper I
Helper I

sharing dashboards externally? (no PBI license or public access)

Hi All,

We are creating PBI PRO dashboards for a client and want them to be able to view them. They may not have PBI licenses and it is a pain to ask their senior management to sign up for PBI accounts. They also do not want them publicly available.

What are our options for sharing this dashboard to our external clients given those two requirements

- no PBI license by external user

- not publicly available

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
magsod
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,
With those requirements I would say that your only current option would be to embed the dashboards in a custom application/portal. This scenario is very well suited for the Power BI Embedded options that are available in different licensing models. Please take a look and see if this might be something for your case.

Br,

Magnus

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
magsod
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,
With those requirements I would say that your only current option would be to embed the dashboards in a custom application/portal. This scenario is very well suited for the Power BI Embedded options that are available in different licensing models. Please take a look and see if this might be something for your case.

Br,

Magnus

Thanks you magsod, that's helpful. Any idea if the licensing cost of this would be purely based on the Power BI Embedded licensing pricing and/or Power BI PRO?

magsod
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

You would need a minimum of one Power BI PRO license for your own organization to manage the authentication between your custom application and the Power BI Service. Besides that, the licensing cost would only be dependent on which SKU for embedding you choose.  

Br,

Magnus

When you say custom app are you referring to Power Apps or something else 3rd party?  I'm just trying to share a report on a Sharepoint site and having some difficulty with users not able to view the report on the dashboard...

Nothing third-party but a custom web portal we develop, backed by Azure AD etc.. When the custom app opens, it will just display the Power BI Embedded content

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors