Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ns7
Regular Visitor

sharepoint list connection

I have created my reports in power bi desktop and published to power bi web in order to publish to my reports to the web. The data is coming from a SharePoint List which is on prem but has a .com.au address which is what it is linking to in power bi desktop.

When I open power bi web to refresh the data or schedule a refrsh I get this error:

"Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again.Your data source can't be queried because the credentials are not provided. Please provide your credentials and try again."

To edit credentials it always says authentication method anonymous, I change it to windows (apparently it doesn't require to enter my creditials) but then gives me this error:

"Failed to update data source credentials: The credentials you provided for the data source are invalid. Please check the credentials for all the data sources."

How do I check what windows credentials it is using? and why doesn't it work?

Without linking to the data source I am therefore unable to schedule a refresh which is rather annoying.

Logging into power bi web without first going through power bi desktop I don't even get to see the datasets my reports are coming from and it wont let me connect through the get data to the sharepoint site even, giving me the error:

"The URL is not valid or you do not have permission to the site. Please check the URL and make sure you have permissions to the site."

10 REPLIES 10
GuyInACube
Employee
Employee

Are you doing this through the personal gateway? Do you see the same error in the event logs? Can you get to the SharePoint site from where the gateway is? 

Maybe also verify that the site URL is in your trusted internet zone with Internet Explorer? With a period in the URL, it will be treated as being in the internet zone, unless your organization is pushing that to the trusted zone by way of local policies. Worth checking. Windows credentials won't be passed when in the internet zone.

Of note, the Get Data > Files > SharePoint  only works with SharePoint Online. That can't be used with an on-premises SharePoint server.

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

Is this still the case that we cannot use Power BI to connect to an "on-premises sharepoint" server

I am trying to use power BI to "GET DATA" from a sharpoint site in this fashion

The SharePoint is on prem but has a .com.au so it accessable online, does Get Data > Files > SharePoint  only work for cloud?

Yes I mentioned above that the GetData experience is just for SharePoint Online.

Can you verify the zone the web site is in?

@GuyInACube wrote:

Yes I mentioned above that the GetData experience is just for SharePoint Online.

Hi @GuyInACube, is that still the case? Or is there any workaround to connect to a data source on an on-premise Sharepoint (SP365)?

Maexchen

I am not sure what you mean by web site zone?

The following KB talks about how to see what security zone a given page is in within Internet Explorer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2689449

ok so the zone is: Local intranet proteted mode off

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@ns7, the error message indicates that either the SharePoint list URL is invalid or you do not have required permissions. So, are you able to connect to that SharePoint list with your Windows Credential in IE or in Power BI Desktop?

I have administrator access to everything on the SharePoint Site, I have no problem connecting to the site in IE and it works fine in Power BI Desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors