Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SHHargrove
Advocate II
Advocate II

shape map

Today I don't see shape map visual in the Viisualizations pane.  My existing shape maps appear to function normally, but I am not able to create a new one from the Visualiztions pane.  This problem only seems to exist on the service -- my desktop still shows it.

Is shape map being deprecated?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

In this case, I think you're just out of luck. At the moment, shape maps need to be done in Desktop.

View solution in original post

Hi @SHHargrove,

As the Shape map is under preview. So it could be only available in the Desktop.

Here is a similar thread your could refer to.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SHHargrove
Advocate II
Advocate II

From Power BI ServiceFrom Power BI ServiceThis is what I'm seeing in the Service.  Shape map is missing.

It appears normally in my desktop ( August version)

Stan

My mistake, I didn't see the Service callout.

Why build your report within the Service rather than Desktop? There's a lot of functionality missing when trying to edit already published reports.

we normally use the desktop to build our reports and data models.  But, on occasioin, we will perform spot edits (like changing which map visual to use) on the service.

We wlso support clients that have given us permission to edit reports in the service, but who have not made the desktop version available

In this case, I think you're just out of luck. At the moment, shape maps need to be done in Desktop.

So  you're saying it never was in the service and we are just now noticing?

Hi @SHHargrove,

As the Shape map is under preview. So it could be only available in the Desktop.

Here is a similar thread your could refer to.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The documentation for it was only written three weeks ago, so it's a relatively recent release. Whether or not they plan on making it available in the service, I'm not sure. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to it.

I do all my dev in Desktop, so I never noticed.

RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @SHHargrove,

I'm not able to reproduce your error:

x.PNG

What version of Power BI Desktop are you running? There's a point when it changed from a preview feature to a native visual.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors